Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the 4.6 from a 2003 Ford Explorer is the same block as the 3v modular in our cars? Reason I am asking is I can get one for free with a broken timing cover, and the block looks the same, just the valve covers and intake manifold look different. I figured if it was the same then I have the core for my long term build project..

Rather than try to research it or call Ford, I was hoping someone here knew the answer. Anyone?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Nope, I am guessing that is a 2v....or a 302 maybe?:scratchchin

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I am guessing that is a 2v....or a 302 maybe?:scratchchin
Did some looking and it is a 2v.. but the 4.6l mod motor has been produced since like 1993.. Are the blocks all different? I don't care about the heads or anything, just the core block. It sure looks the same from what I can see, compared to mine when I had it apart, but all it takes is one subtle difference...

The Explorer had this 2v 4.6 modular from 2003-2005.

I always assumed the differences between modular motors was the heads (with the cam(s) and valves being the main difference), and the pistons, and possibly the crank bolts and such, which I understand is modified anyway with a built motor... All aluminum 4.6 blocks are built in the same place, but are they all the same?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I seem to remember there being something about how the timing covers fit/work and the bellhousig or crank has a different bolt pan that are different. Worth checking into.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The modular engine as been around since '91 and it's produced in two different places. Romeo and Windsor.

This article might be useful to you.
Ford Modular V-8 Engine - Mustang & Fords Magazine

I found this write up as well. The catch is it was written in 2002.

Blocks
There have been two distinctly different cast iron blocks used for the 4.6L, depending on whether the engine was built at the Romeo plant or the Windsor plant. There are two Windsor blocks with two casting numbers and one minor difference, and there are four different versions of the Romeo block with several different casting numbers.
Rebuilding the Ford 4.6L SOHC Engine, Doug Anderson, Engine Builder, April 2002

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's aluminum, so I know its a Romeo block, but it looks like I will have to either call Ford to find out if the 2003-2005 explorer 2v block is the same as the 2005-2010 3v block, or just tear it down and find the casting number and look it up..

Thanks for all the help, there was some great info here.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All Ford could do for me was give me a Ford part # for the correct block for our cars.. 5R3Z6010BA. The 2003 Explorer part number is now discontinued.. At first the guy I talked to told me he had no way of looking up part numbers for an engine block, so I asked the guy "So I can't buy a block from Ford?" and he answered "only long and short blocks".. it surprised me.

I think I will pull this engine apart and get it down to the block and see if I can cross reference the casting number somewhere. Anyone know the casting number for the proper block for our car? The articles above say there are 4 different aluminum casting numbers, but it was written in 2002, and no info past that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.