Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i guess driving with my pinion bearing going bad has caused a lot of metal shavings in my axle and my mechanic said I should just go to a junk yard and buy a new axle

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
i guess driving with my pinion bearing going bad has caused a lot of metal shavings in my axle and my mechanic said I should just go to a junk yard and buy a new axle
I have heard it will fit; however, the whole axle assembly is about 1-2 inches narrower on 94-98 Mustangs. It can be done, but if you can find an axle assembly for a 99-04 that would definitely be the best choice. Also, make sure it is from a GT, Bullitt, or Mach 1 because the V6's have the 7.5" housing instead of the 8.8".

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
^ What he said. It is about 2" narrower, and I can't say for sure but would think that as a result that the backside of the wheels rubbing on the quad shocks or something in the inner wheelwell could be a real possibility. You could run spacers to counteract that, but that then runs into other potential issues....

Go find something out of a '99+ car. Check the local pick n' pulls, CL, usedcarpart.com, etc.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
^ I wasn't able to view a price for an 8.8 on that link, but given that a 7.5 is almost $1200 then I can only guess an 8.8 has gotta be $1400.

I would look into having your existing rear rebuilt. New diff, ring and pinion set + bearings and seals and labor to make it happen should come in at least a couple hundred less than a full on replacement.

And keep looking for used rears. Reasonable suspicion is there should be plenty of pick n' pulls in the Detroit area.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
^ I wasn't able to view a price for an 8.8 on that link, but given that a 7.5 is almost $1200 then I can only guess an 8.8 has gotta be $1400.

I would look into having your existing rear rebuilt. New diff, ring and pinion set + bearings and seals and labor to make it happen should come in at least a couple hundred less than a full on replacement.

And keep looking for used rears. Reasonable suspicion is there should be plenty of pick n' pulls in the Detroit area.
I agree with SoCal. $260 for a rebuild kit, including ring and pinion, carrier and pinion bearings, pinion seal, crush sleeve, gear oil, and friction modifier. Add another $30 for new axle bearings and seals, and somewhere between $300 and $600 for the job. It will come out cheaper, and there is no reason to replace the whole axle housing unless the car has been in a really bad wreck or something.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive tried looking around for a rear but no luck yet, and my mechanic told me it would cost as much as a new one because of taking out the bad **** and all the cleaning he would have to do and put in all the new parts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats funny! I CALLED StangUSA and they said that had a complete 98 axle disc to disc which is the same one i made this topic about.. lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no 2001..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts