Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on getting some Rockford Fosgate T2's in the trunk of my 2007 GT although I care about my car greatly and hearing those trunks rattle worries me. My paint is absolutely MINT to a point where I wash using a wool mitten. I was just worried that tons of bass (especially from a Rockford Fosgate T2) would damage my car. Any suggestions or experiences?

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you put subs in make sure you use dynamat inside all of the interior panels. Everything will loosen up and rattle over time which is very annoying to hear.

On my old 02 GT I had three 10" JL Audio W6's. Had the place who installed did the install throw in the dynamat, never had a problem.

·
Registered
968 Posts
When I'm listening to my Metalcore and the breakdown kicks in (usually have a ****load of bass), EVERYTHING rattles. Bad. Dont even get me started on the trunk. I have the stock Shaker 1000, but still has a bunch of bass to it.

But no, it wont affect your paint, I have never heard of such a thing.. All it will do is rattle/shake the hell out of your windows and mirrors. I remember one time, my mirror was shaking so bad there was a car behind me that I thought was a Mustang. To my surprise, it was a Pontiac XD

The trunk rattling is common if you have subs in the back of your trunk.

It wont affect performance, exterior (except the trunk rattling), interior (except your mirrors and etc. rattling), or anything else. You'll be fine, dont worry.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
588 Posts
Whats more important?

Your Mustang rattling or Losing your Hearing?

And ya can't repaint the inside of your ears:yelwacko:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was planning on getting some Rockford Fosgate T2's in the trunk of my 2007 GT although I care about my car greatly and hearing those trunks rattle worries me. My paint is absolutely MINT to a point where I wash using a wool mitten. I was just worried that tons of bass (especially from a Rockford Fosgate T2) would damage my car. Any suggestions or experiences?
This really depends on the size amp and how many RMS your using. If their hitting hard. You're gonna fry your alternator without a cap(Capacitor). The selection of that also depends on what amp you pick. That cap will stop the massive hit of your sub and it'll say this is how much power you can have. It won't let it draw your car battery and alternator down. Headlights would flicker if that was happening. :smilie

·
Registered
113 Posts
My friend had some subs in his 350z pushing alot of power and problems he had were: windshield wiper flew off, rearview mirror broke off, licenses plate scratched paint, had to retighten lug nuts every so often. this is an extreme case but this goes to show you what can happen if you throw as much as you can in a car. he stripped his interior down to fit the subs in.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
It wont affect performance, exterior (except the trunk rattling),
I hate that. The system sounds great on the inside, and I love turning up the bass on some songs, but I know all everyone in traffic next to me hears is bzzzzzzzzrattlerattlebzzzzzzzzrattlerattle

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know if this is urban legend or not, however, a kid 's car would begin to misfire and stall out only when a certain song was playing and booming high levels of bass and mid-range frequencies through his car.

They figured that his knock sensor was "hearing " the sound and retarding the timing more and more until his engine just stopped running!

As a musician with tinnitus you DON'T want noise-induced hearing loss. Hearing aids don't take away the 24/7 constant ringing. Drives you insane! NO TREATMENT! PERMANENT!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just spent the last month tearing apart my entire car and dynomated the entire thing. I removed the stock 6x9s in the rear and relocated my new diamond hex's to the 1/4 panels, if you want to reduce compression in the truck (which causes rattling) and increase bass in the cab i recommend moving your speakers in the rear as well and leaving as many holes into the cab open as possible. pressurizing your trunk will just blow out those 6x9s you throw up there i had to put rubber under my licence plate, the wing, and i still have to figure out something rattling underneath the car and probably put rubber there. basically anything that comes in contact and not really tight needs rubber or dynomat applied. or your gonna have one of those ghetto cars that shake like a b****. just sayin from my experience thought it might help :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Also remember its better to have a amp that is too powerful than a speaker that draws more than your amp can produce. Theres a myth that you should pick speakers that are rated for more power than your amp can produce, but in fact its the opposite. If your amp isn't powerful enough it will clip the signal and generate heat (which will cause it to fail prematurely). The signal clipping will damage your subwoofer and it will sound bad.

For example: 500 watt rms rated subwoofer should be mated to a 500 to 1000+ watt rms amplifier, not the opposite.

My home audio system is a set of 100 watt rated Infinity Reference Series monitors (6 ohm) on a 900 watt RMS x 2 channel (rated at 4 ohm) pro audio amplifier. This sounds a lot better than a 100 watt receiver because it has more headroom (more wattage allows for more dynamic peaks in music), the same is true for car audio. Matching rated RMS on the amp to rated RMS on the speakers is not always a good idea, in fact its better to have more RMS on the amp and turn down your gain (level matching).

Excess power does not blow speakers, distortion/clipping blows speakers. If you ran so much power to blow your speaker you would be blowing your ear drums.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats my steup but i need my other amp and a whole new rack design is in progress. i have the carpet installed right now and everything is wired
Ahh yeah that's a nice setup! I've also came to notice the stock 8" door subwoofers, what would be a good replacement for them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts