Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member here. Im trying to find out if an OE HID car can be converted to OE Halogens without to much trouble. The reason Im asking is, my car is on order with navigation. Ordered on 6/7, but Im not sure it will be built due the Ford NAV crisis of 2011. To make a long story short, I found a a car equipped the exact way I ordered mine except it has HIDs. I personally dont like the look of HIDS on these cars and would like to swap in Halogens.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Howdy, congratulations on your order. Bummer about the Nav.

Can't comment about that or your question, but I'd suggest if it comes down to it, you test drive the two different headlight sys @ night in the boonies.

Will bet you a cheeseburger you'll soften your thought against HID's.

Initially I wanted the look of the standard setup. Ended up choosing function over form and am very glad I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow. I's stick with the HIDs dude. It's a far better lighting option, especially in the dead of night and in the rain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is some funny.. im looking for retrofit HIDs cause in México that options does not exist.. and you're trying to do the opposite..

If you do it.. please take pictures about the headlight's connectors...

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
381 Posts
if i were you i would stick to the HID's.

I was lucky enough to find one on the lot that had them. I was on a mission to find a stang with HID's, and wouldnt buy one w/o them.

My bro in-law decided to go with plain ol halogens and he regrets it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howdy, congratulations on your order. Bummer about the Nav.

Can't comment about that or your question, but I'd suggest if it comes down to it, you test drive the two different headlight sys @ night in the boonies.

Will bet you a cheeseburger you'll soften your thought against HID's.

Initially I wanted the look of the standard setup. Ended up choosing function over form and am very glad I did.
I had HID's on my "09 GT500 and on a "09 BMW 335I and I liked them a lot. On this model they just do not appeal to me aesthetically. I agree that it is a far better system. I just want to be able to look at my car and appreciate what Im seeing. For me the HID set up just doesn't do it. Its too bad Ford didn't move the HIDs out to the edges like the Halogens.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Id consider trading you my halogen setup if youre interested, my car only has 900mi so wear isnt an issue. we could work a deal out. where are you from? psucobra as in Penn State?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm actually kind of disappointed in how well my HIDs light up the road in the boonies at night. I had HIDs in my Speed3 and they were great, but with these, I have to turn on the fog lights too to have a good coverage of light in front of me. The high beams are plenty bright of course, but the low beams are darker than I thought they would be.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You might want to swap in an inline four cylinder with three on the tree and some red line bias ply tires along with an 8 track while your at it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I understand your position regarding HIDs and light color and all that jazz, but a) Factory HIDs have a very good cutoff, and you won't be blinding drivers on the other side, so there is no worry about that. b) Many people with the stock halogens are reporting pretty sub-par lighting output, so I really think it'd be in your best interest to keep the HIDs.

Of course, if you do decide to make the swap, then of course it's possible to swap in some halogens. The question is how easy and cheap it'll be. Anything is possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just so you know.....You are not alone in hating the HIDs look on the new Mustang. I also have them on my current cars and yes they are better. BUT, when I look at the Mustang with the Halogen lights, it looks -right-. When I see one with the HIDs, it looks -cross eyed-! No, I'm not kidding! By putting the HID lense toward the center of the nose, it looks like the car is cross eyed to me! Drives me nuts!

Its like when your car has that ONE door ding. You see it screaming at you everytime you look at your car, but nobody else can see it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
cross eyed cars need love, too

but mind doesn't look like that...it looks mean

grrrr

·
Registered
146 Posts
i personally have the hid's with a yellow set of fog bulbs.. it sorta has that Le Mans look (and i don't mean Pontiac Le mans).

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
That's like saying you would like to trade your 1080p HD television for a 480i TV because that set looks better in your living room.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Certainly it can be done but as mentioned above, what would the cost be? Your best bet would be to find someone with halogens and swap all the necessary parts. I am sure there would be a long list of people willing to swap with you.

Personally I think the new Mustang looks better with the HID's. Not that I think it looks bad with the halogens. To each his own....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Id consider trading you my halogen setup if youre interested, my car only has 900mi so wear isnt an issue. we could work a deal out. where are you from? psucobra as in Penn State?
At this point Im just trying to see if would be possible with out to much hassle. If my order on my car doesnt go through I will definately consider a trade.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You might want to swap in an inline four cylinder with three on the tree and some red line bias ply tires along with an 8 track while your at it.
This is pretty good. Made me laugh!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's like saying you would like to trade your 1080p HD television for a 480i TV because that set looks better in your living room.
On the flip side one could say. Why not add a 3 foot, 3 layer import wing to you car, it creates more downforce than the stock one?

To each his own

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I purchased two mustangs this year and one had HIDs and one didn't.. honestly, the bit more if light intensity you get out of the HID is not enough for me to forfeit the uniformity and retro look of the halogens.

Good luck on your hunt, OP.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts