Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the question is can i drill out the inside of my bassani x pipe?
first of all will it change how it sounds? cause i love the sound that the x pipe gives it. the reason i was thinking about that is because i would love to eliminate my smog pump and all that **** that goes with. love the engine bay with out the ac.

·
Registered
864 Posts
well yes you could but why not buy a xpipe off ebay? and save the other

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i love my bassani. thats the big question will it change the sound. i don't want to lose the sound. i had a diff x on and when i changed to the bassani it sounded so much better. i know if i drill them out i can get rid of the smog. just don't know if it will change the sound of my exhaust. any idea?

·
Registered
864 Posts
i would think it will be louder and deeper tone in the car if you look on you tube you can hear some take a look good luck

·
Registered
511 Posts
if you like the way it sounds just leave that cats alone. hollowing them out or removing them will make your exhaust louder and smellier.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that makes sense, maybe i will look on youtube. i guess i could eliminate the smog and when the cats get blocked then cut them out.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Are you aware how much new cats cost? Might want to sell your stock x to fund your new x.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi ..

I emptied my catatysator .. sound good, I just dont like that "holow" sound that now makes, beacouse its just empt cat .. will probbably take it off and put just pipe instead of cat ..

hers how it sounded before I emptied cat and just had two traight flow muflers I made and installed by my self ..
‪1985 Mustang GT loud exhaust popping‬‏ - YouTube

Now the sound is even slighty better except the little anoying hollow sound, and the sound is not soo deep as it was ..

By

·
Registered
101 Posts
You could. I got a stock H pipe from a 93 with gutted cats. It didn't get much louder, but it added more of a growl at idle, and when you give it some gas. some cons though I encountered is when I give it some gas there is some smoke that comes out of the exhaust. also when idling in a garage I notice a (I'm guessing Gasoline) smell. I looked at my stock Cats and they are really restricting. so I'm guessing with nothing but straight pipes really your going to get some smoke or a bad smell. Honestly for me it wasnt worth the time. but your case could be different since you have after market pipes. Just thought my story would help. good luck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
bassani makes uncatted xpipes.. if you empty out the cats they basically just become resonators and will probably have more of a droaning sound which wouldnt sound as crisp as an uncatted X would (in my opinion). also, if it were me i would try to sell the catted X pipe to someone that needs it for emissions then i'd buy the uncatted one and pocket the 200 dollars i saved.

if you like the sound that you have right now, you can just leave the exhaust alone and still just eliminate all the other smog equipment.. the two dont have to be done together

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you to everyone, i really appreciate the help. i was told if i take the $mog $hit off it will ruin my cats and make the car run like crap. any thoughts on this or how soon it happens? i would really like to eliminate the smog garbage. thats my dilema. i suppose i could put the x up on craigslist.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I drilled the cats of a Toyota 4-runner many many moons ago - yes it changes the sound 100%, It sounded horrible. I had to go buy cats the next weeks. It changed it big time. Move with caution grasshopper.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You also eliminate back pressure and believe it or not you need a certain amount. Do you not have emmisions where you live?

Sounds like you are so,If youre dying to see *Get some straight thru pipe and cut your cats out/off with atleast 3-4" of pipe up and down stream from the cats. After that put those filler pipes in & if it tickels your fancy go with it it chapps your bottom put cats back in- Let us know.

I'd like to know if it did the same as with the 4-Runner 2.4ltr rocket.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well after all the info from u guys i don't think i will be doing it anytime soon. but when i get the itch back again i will post it up and let u guys know. eventually the smog $hit will come out. technically i do have emissions here......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts