Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already eliminated my EGR and Smog Pump. I want to delete IAC. How can I do this without having to get a custom computer like PMS ( I plan on getting one eventually)? I just want to clean up the engine bay as much as possible and the car idles just fine without it plugged in, just don't want to get a check engine light. I bought a plug in for the egr, do I need one for the IAC? It's big and ugly and I would think it would not affect performance as it is a "Idle Air Control", is that right?

If you look at the pic, you will see it looks out of place.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You have to understand that this is what the ECM controls the Idle with. Without it and the ECM will use other methods to controll the Idle. Like timing and fuel. You may get a surge, but if the idle is set high enough the surge may not be there. It is also used as Dashpot measure in the ECC logic to help in stalling.

The VSS sensor reads <6mph the ECC and the IAC will control the idle, below 6mph and the Base Idle and the IAC control the idle.

So when you push in the clutch to come to a stop, the Idle may drop to fast, and without the IAC valve, it could stall. Just a Heads up.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with the last reply. The whole point of removing the EGR and smog systems is that they are for emissions purposes only, and service no purpose towards performance. On top of that, they will steal power because the EGR systems recirculates exhaust gases into the intake, and the smog is belt driven.

The IAC on the other hand is there to control the idle of the car. You could theoretically take it off and cover the holes, but you would have absolutely no performance benefits and your engine would idle really poorly.

If I'm wrong please let me know. Is there a reason that you want to remove the IAC valve? Or is removing parts the cool thing to do? :scratchchin

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I guess I polish it.

The reason I want to remove it is only because it is ugly and takes away from the clean look. I am gonna take it off tonight and polish it, thanks for the advice 89Coupe, I do not want to screw up my ECC, or create stalling. Just wish it was not on the front of the throttle body.

I will post a pic of the before and after of polishing it.

Thanks for the input, if you find out a way I can do it without messing things up I would still like to as my sole mission in life is to have a super clean engine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to understand that this is what the ECM controls the Idle with. Without it and the ECM will use other methods to controll the Idle. Like timing and fuel. You may get a surge, but if the idle is set high enough the surge may not be there. It is also used as Dashpot measure in the ECC logic to help in stalling.

The VSS sensor reads <6mph the ECC and the IAC will control the idle, below 6mph and the Base Idle and the IAC control the idle.

So when you push in the clutch to come to a stop, the Idle may drop to fast, and without the IAC valve, it could stall. Just a Heads up.:bigthumbsup
If I unplug it and it did not stall am I good? or will it throw off the EEC? It looks so ugly there.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You need the IAC, the PCM will freak out if it can't control the idle speed. Remember that with fuel injection all of the sensors and outputs from the computer feed back onto each other, if one goes wrong the others may not work correctly. Pre-OBD2 systems are fragile enough without removing components.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well time to polish

Thanks I will post a picture after I finish polishing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.