Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to replace my Hankook 275/40ZR19 105Y tires.

I'm looking for something a little better than the Hankooks. They were OK but noisy.

My driving style:

No track driving
Occasional aggressive road driving ;-)

Must have:
Summer tire only
Prefer decent grip on wet pavement

Notes:
I'm in Canada so the early and late driving season can sometimes get a little cold but I don't depend on this car as a daily driver.

I was looking around for Michelin Pilot Super Sport but they don't appear to be available for 275/40ZR19.

Are the Bridgestone POTENZA S-04 POLE POSITION tires a good choice to replace the HanKooks?

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I have the Michelin PSS in 275/40-19 on my car now, but I think the PSS has been replaced with the 4S so that might be why you can't find that size in the PSS.

I also had the Potenza S-04's in the past, in 275/35 size and XL wall. The Bridgestones were noticeably "harder" riding than the Michelins, but I think that might have been mostly due to the shorter sidewall and extra-load rating (which makes the sidewalls heavier and stiffer)

Both worked well for me on the street, and about the same on the road track. I expected the MPSS to be better on the track, but they are about the same (other factors also involved like the driver factor so it is hard to tell). They are both highly rated for wet conditions and they both seemed pretty good to me. Be aware that 275 is a pretty wide tire and will hydroplane in standing water. They both tramline about the same also.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Michelin PSS in 275/40-19 on my car now, but I think the PSS has been replaced with the 4S so that might be why you can't find that size in the PSS.
Aha! Thank you for the good information. I will hunt for them. Lots of time now that the end of the driving season is near. I'll look for some good deals.

·
Registered
1996 Mustang Cobra Laser Red
60 Posts
I just recently bought the Toyo Extenza HP II. I found them reasonably priced on Amazon and had good reviews.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just recently bought the Toyo Extenza HP II. I found them reasonably priced on Amazon and had good reviews.
I haven’t heard of these. I’ll check them out.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Happy with the BF Goodrich G-Force T/As

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
688 Posts
How long have you had them? What are 4 if them worth?
They are lasting longer than a he OEM Pirellis that came on the car and I feel they grip better too. I must have about 40K on them now. You’d have to shop around on price. Best deals I found were at Costco and Tire Rack.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
It's time to replace my Hankook 275/40ZR19 105Y tires.

I'm looking for something a little better than the Hankooks. They were OK but noisy.

My driving style:

No track driving
Occasional aggressive road driving ;-)

Must have:
Summer tire only
Prefer decent grip on wet pavement

Notes:
I'm in Canada so the early and late driving season can sometimes get a little cold but I don't depend on this car as a daily driver.

I was looking around for Michelin Pilot Super Sport but they don't appear to be available for 275/40ZR19.

Are the Bridgestone POTENZA S-04 POLE POSITION tires a good choice to replace the HanKooks?
Best street tires out there for high performance cars. Go with the 35's vs. the 40's, less sidewall.
PILOT SPORT CUP 2 - SIZE: 275/35ZR19

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Michelin would be my first choice. I owned a set previously and got 120,000 miles out of them. Had to replace when the sidewall started to fail. Treads were still very good.
When I went to replace 235-50-18, I went with Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetrical All Season. They had decent reviews, instant online savings of $70, and $160 rebate. Paid $545 installed.
They ride good, and the noise/handling is satisfactory with mostly highway driving.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Best street tires out there for high performance cars. Go with the 35's vs. the 40's, less sidewall.
Thank you for your reply, I never considered this previously.

Michelin would be my first choice. I owned a set previously and got 120,000 miles out of them. Had to replace when the sidewall started to fail. Treads were still very good.
When I went to replace 235-50-18, I went with Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetrical All Season. They had decent reviews, instant online savings of $70, and $160 rebate. Paid $545 installed.
They ride good, and the noise/handling is satisfactory with mostly highway driving.
I think the 'all season' designation would prompt me to opt out of the Goodyear Eagle F1 but I have read good reviews on it. I don't drive the Mustang in the winter here in Canada so a summer only tire is what we really want. We have a winter car that takes the brunt of the snow and salt that is used to combat poor road conditions here.

Reactions: huberoy123

·
Registered
688 Posts
I guess I should better describe/clarify my BF Goodrich tires from my post (#6) above. They are the G-Force Sport Comp 2 UHP summer tires very happy with them.

Reactions: TheJoe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since you asked for opinions...

Besides it sounding slightly pretentious or like the person is just repeating a review they read on the tires... It is my opinion that drivers who decide against installing an otherwise desirable tire because it is "noisy" need a louder exhaust on their sports car, need to stop listening for tire "noise".. and that they should probsbly stop reading so many Consumer Reports, Car and Driver magazines (and other product advertisements) and just buy the affordable tire that's proven dependable, looks good or appeals to them personally.

But hey.. just one guys opinion and as they say.. opinions are like hind ends everyone has one and they all smell at least some of the time. lol

·
Registered
196 Posts
On my 2013 GT, I had to replace mine not too long ago and went with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport. The Pirelli tires that came with it were OK but to me seemed too grippy in places that I didn't care for them to be. These have worked out great.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is my opinion that drivers who decide against installing an otherwise desirable tire because it is "noisy" need a louder exhaust on their sports car
Hahahaha, nice! Yes, you are right, the GT500 exhaust system isn't loud enough. I'll put that on the list of things to look into for next season. :D

Reactions: huberoy123

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On my 2013 GT, I had to replace mine not too long ago and went with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport.
This is actually the alternate choice for me. If I find a deal I can't ignore for these then I may buy them. They are still number two on the list now but if economics come into play they will probably have the advantage.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I put Firestone Indy Hawk 500’s on my 05 GT. Night and day from the Perellis. Great tires, good handling, quiet and smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put Firestone Indy Hawk 500’s on my 05 GT. Night and day from the Perellis. Great tires, good handling, quiet and smooth.
That is one that I haven't looked at. Thanks for the reply, I'll check this tire out.

Reactions: paul_g

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check on Continental Extreme contact DSW. Current tires when replaced from Bridgestone Wide Oval. OEM and Bridgestone seem to not have enough grip for burnouts or turning and accelerating. Michelin's would be the best, cost for me the Continental were a good price. $199.00 a tire.

·
Super Moderator
7,814 Posts
OP: What has your local tire dealer recommended as high quality Summer tread?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts