Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off is it possible to install a TCS button on a 2004 GT? If so how hard/simple is it and how do I do it? I would rather not have to re-flash the car with my tuner every time I need to turn TCS on or off. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Odd. You should already have a TCS off button. Are you positive you aren't looking in the correct place? It would be located between your foglight button and rear defrost button at the bottom of your center console in front of your shifter.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
^I agree unless the 04's did something different but I doubt it because it should be the same.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Your car should have a TCS button as mentioned previously. You can buy a little module that you wire in to the TCS circuit, it holds the last button position. I have to ask though, if your car does have (and it should) the TCS button on the console and you have no clue, what are you doing with a hand held tuner? That has disaster written all over it :nono:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I own a 2004 Mustang GT and like gnats02 said, the trac off button is located next to the fog light button. I have a SCT tuner as well, and noticed that it does have an option for turning trac control off on it. I just left mine stock since I have a button to do it.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
In my 04 GT i dont have the traction control buttom either. Its just a non funtioning button between the funtioning foglight and rear defrost buttons. But i have it tuned for no traction anyways, so its not a problem cuz i would never use it. Its weird cuz my car came fully loaded witht he premium package, includes everything but that button.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I never knew some didn't have the option. I definitely would have flashed the computer pronto in that case. My Trac Control gets on my nerves.:happyhapp

·
Registered
309 Posts
It is definitly an option. It's part of the abs option package for 730 bucks on the sticker. I've seen several stangs with the blank button between the rear window defogger and fog lights. If the button is blank, then there is no traction contorl to be turned on or off.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I guess you learn something new everyday. I looked at my 02's window sticker and it was listed as coming standard. May be one of the differences between the premium and delux packages.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Attention readers, traction control? It is a MUSTANG. Driver is traction control. Better off without the button, if not, maybe you should drive a chevy :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok.

Yellow 03: I know where the button should be. It isn't there.

Gnats 02: I'm not an idiot.

04KenneBellGT: Thanks for the support. Go KB.

Itali83: The car still has TCS, just can't turn it on or off manualy.

Racin366: TCS is still good for road trips mixed with bad weather.

Mell0: It's off.

So please, back to my question. Can I install a button myself now or is the car not able to facilitate the install of said button? Thanks again. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's cool Gnats. Just researching sucks. Yeah so the car has TCS which I have turned off because it sucks 90% of the time. I just want the button for bad weather because this Mustang does not get garaged and it makes frequent long distance road trips. Damn the gas prices. So I came on here wondering if anyone had installed one themselves in place of the button delete and barring that, if anyone knew whether the correct hook ups are on the car to install one (wherever they may be, transmission, under the dash, etc). Sorry for taking offense, I can see how one might think another alittle retarded seeing my question and not ever hearing that some 2004's didn't have the TCS button.:gringreen

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's cool Gnats. Just researching sucks. Yeah so the car has TCS which I have turned off because it sucks 90% of the time. I just want the button for bad weather because this Mustang does not get garaged and it makes frequent long distance road trips. Damn the gas prices. So I came on here wondering if anyone had installed one themselves in place of the button delete and barring that, if anyone knew whether the correct hook ups are on the car to install one (wherever they may be, transmission, under the dash, etc). Sorry for taking offense, I can see how one might think another alittle retarded seeing my question and not ever hearing that some 2004's didn't have the TCS button.:gringreen
Have you pulled the console panel to see if perhaps there is an unused wire harness in there?....could be for the TCS, can you compare to another Stang? May be borrow the switch, hook it up and see if it works? Might be that all you need is the switch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just for those reading. In my research I have come across afew people saying that since there is no TCS button the car must not have TCS. There isn't much to support me in this as far as I have read but everyone who has driven the car or ridden in it including me since I turned off the TCS with the tuner can feel the difference. What i'm saying is, they say what they say but I drive the car every day and it has TCS. Ok then...:scratchchin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Install a TCS button on a Mustang.

Gnats. While you were pulling your interior apart I decided that was probably a good idea and did the same thing. Only difference is I was multi-tasking, while pulling apart the interior and seeing what there was to see I was kicking myself in the ass at the same time for not doing this sooner.

F-ing Ford Motor Company, on the back of the button delete it actually has the wiring for the TCS on/off button plugged into it. Cheap bastards. Anyway, looks like all I or anyone else with this delete has to do is pull the button out of a dead Mustang and install it on theirs. I will post here when I do this. If anyone beats me to it, put up your results. Thanks again Gnats for pointing me the right way, sorry we got off on the wrong foot. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
461 Posts
Glad we worked it out. Sometimes I tend to take that foot and put it in my mouth. :gringreen

Any way here is the pic I took:

So what this boils down to (providing it all works out) is that damn switch costs $730. :headscratch:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ok, here's me being ignorant I guess. So you don't have a traction control button. But you say that you have traction control, just can't shut if off right? So what you are saying is that you have a mustang GT that won't do a burnout? I find that really hard to believe. If you can do a burnout, then you don't have traction control, simple as that.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.