Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
doin a 347 balanced 28oz...do i need a new flywheel or can i use the stocker....thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You will need one that is balanced for 28oz, either a new one or yours rebalanced.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
...and a balancer.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i am in the process of ordering the flywheel and balancer. i found a flywheel the other day that weighed 28 pounds but found one today thats 13.5 so i dunno which i should go with. i heard i lose tq with a lighter weight flywheel...true?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
88_stanga said:
yea i am in the process of ordering the flywheel and balancer. i found a flywheel the other day that weighed 28 pounds but found one today thats 13.5 so i dunno which i should go with. i heard i lose tq with a lighter weight flywheel...true?
We'll call it instant tourque. With a lighter flywheel, you have less Mass (what is it, Mass x Force = Energy?), but the engine is making the same Force. So, the lighter flywheel (or anything fastened to the crank) makes it easier to stall the motor, as it is ultimately imparting less Energy to the clutch disk. You could negate this reduction of "instant tourque" by lightening the rest of the car, including unsprung weight. (I'm sure it'll take more than 14.5 lbs.) Numericly higher gears may aleviate that effect too. The car is Inertia, which is a product of weight and friction-resistance.(?)
The unbalance factor is independent of the actual weight of the flywheel, so definitely spec out a 28 ounce unbalance factor (as opposed to 0 or 50)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.