Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to go to like my local carwash place and use the power washer to clean my motor up? If so what should I do. I know I want to take my K&N filter off and all but anything else I need to be awar of? Is it safe to even do this?

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Sure, go ahead. People do it all the time.

Then they create threads with titles like "Why is my engine misfiring after I sprayed it with a hose?"

·
Registered
146 Posts
good question.i wondered that myself,but like silly rabbitt said ive seen alot of people with problems after.:nono:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The old fashion way of gettin your hands dirty is always the way to go. use some different rags and some very very deluded simple green (warning: using simple green direct to your paint job can actually take your paint off its very strong stuff) thats why i suggest deluding it with water. i use about 20% simple green and 80% water and it works great with grease and grime on both metal and plastic just stay clear of your paint job. you also want to watch out for your electrical parts i usually put a rag over my alternator and such parts when im cleaning my engine. hope this helps! :smoke:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If you got a way to cover the cop's and keep water from getting down in there it's cool but dont use a high pressure use something low i use my hose at the house low pressure and little water spray some grease lightining down let it soak then rinse it off dont blast it with a damn pressure washer it's needless to!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
COP's?

I used a hose with basically a mist/spray to rise the dust off the motor, afterwards it wouldn't start. I used compressed air to blow all the water away from the spark plugs, all the electrical connectors off the coils, the connectors to the injectors, and all electrical connectors on the intake. It still wouldn't start just turn over and not fire, then it started getting a little fire but no start, when it finally started it would run a few sec's the shut off, it finally started and idled, when I drove it, it bogged and surged, it finally cleared up for the most part but I can barely still feel a bog and surge while maintaining a set speed. It also tripped a code saying the fuel rail pressure ckt low or something to that effect, cleared the code but still feel a slight bog and surge. It's so slight that a mech probably wouldn't notice but as the owner I feel it so something is still off.

I haven't driven it since then, this was a couple days ago, I'm in the process of figuring it out. Be careful washing the motor, I used minimal water and got fooked because of it.

If I figure it out I'll post up, and would appreciate ideas on a fix. I figure the sensor on the fuel rail got wet or the water in the plug caused it to malfunction and go bad.

I post this as a warning, I used minimal water and didn't soak the engine by any means.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Coil on Plug.... Direct ignition... the things that send power to the spark plugs.

You want to cover those up when you wet the engine down. It would be bad if water got in there and either got into the engine or rusted the coils or plugs. You also want to cover the alternator and other electronic components along with any exposed part of your intake.

Don't power wash it... just do what others have said. Take your time, get some good degreasing chemicals and be careful where you spray the stuff. The way I did it to control the water was instead of using a hose I had a bucket of water and a rag. I just got the rag all wet and squeezed it out over the area you want to rinse after I let the chemicals do their job. I then wiped it off as best I could with a dry rag and then let it sit in the sun to dry for a while. Now it's clean and works just fine.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
^ +1 on what he said

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
The real trick to doing this is making sure it's completely dry before you attempt to start it.

Disclaimer: Immersing electronic components in water is bad.

Be sure the main fuse block cover is secure and is sealed, better yet cover it with a plastic bag before getting started. Also a good idea to do this while the engine is cold.

I just use the hose and an old washclosh dipped in carwash solution, and with said washcloth reach as best as possible in and around stuff, then just spray it all down with the hose. Trick with the hose is not to spray full blast, use more of a shower pattern as opposed to blasting it with a jet stream of water; no need to force water into places it shouldn't be like spark plug wells and such.

For drying, my device of choice is an electric leaf blower, which works well and is considerably less expensive than a decent air compressor and related accessories. Anyway, I just blow the crap out of it (no homo), and focus alot of my attention on the COP's and any known harness connectors. Whether you use compressed air or a blower, be sure to keep moving it around and aiming at whatever part of the engine from multiple angles until you can't see any water drops being blown out, then do it some more after that.

Those who warn against spraying your engine down with water definitely have the best policy, but if you insist on using water to do the job then as long as you follow the directions above then you *should* be fine (read Disclaimer again). I've been doing it like this for years on multiple vehicles, especially my Mustang which gets it as often as once a month due to being in a dusty environment and have yet to experience a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't spray the motor with the motors warm/hot the ceramic on the crap ass plugs will crack. Thought mine was cool enough apparently not, cracked the ceramic on 2 plugs and I swapped them out the problem mentioned above went away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts