Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if I would need to do anything to the transmission or anything else if I wanted to pull the 4.6 out and put a 5.0 in my 2001 GT? Does anyone know if its even possible with space?Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Which 5.0? Need to clarify.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
In theory, yes. Hope you have a lot of money though.

One of the Mustang mags (MM&FF or 5.0&SF) did a Coyote swap on a Fox body a while back, you might go through their online archives to find the details.

Aside from that, all I can say is there are significantly less expensive ways of having 412 hp under the hood.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
anything is possible if you have enough money
First of all what 5.0?
How much do you have to spend?
As always it's usually better just to sell car or get terminator takeout motor for swap...still a big pile of cash is needed for either

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
don't expect to spend under 10k though, you will need to change alot...

·
Registered
249 Posts
It can be done and was done already by a Bullitt owner, its no where near worth it to do. You will easily spend a minimum of 10,000 dollars just to do a new 5.0 engine and transmission swap. Just to fabricate the headers was 2,000 dollars and that was just the headers.

EDIT: I should say right now its not worth it to do. Maybe in a few years when the aftermarket catches on, they might make a affordable kit to do the whole swap

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Yeah I would follow everyone elses advice that it's not worth it and going to cost ya. I'm assuming you are located in Valdosta and having AF at the end of your name you are likely in the Air Force and stationed at Moody AFB. Saying that unless you got some good deployment money saved up that you wana blow then find a used 2011 up GT or find another project.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
You can put any engine in any car if you want. You can even make it work, but it isn't always easy, or worth the cost/effort. Do a search, you should find a ton of info that will help you consider what is involved and decide if its what you want to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts