Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 extra stock Mach 1 rims that are 17x8 I'm pretty sure. A buddy of mine has the same car, same rim, and he's got 275/40 tires on it...every shop, and even a customer service rep from Micky Thompson told me it wouldn't be a good idea to run 275 drag radials tires on a 8" rim. Can I at least run some good street tires on that rim like my friend has, he as them on and they look fine and he says hes never had a problem with them...
I'm looking for 2 17x9 inch rims i can use for only drag radials so I'll have no problems, but I have 2 extra Mach 1 rims that I want to buy 275 tires for and use them for street racing, and have my 17x9 inch rims with drag radials for track use, while I keep my other 4 stock rims with the stock 245/45 street tires for daily use...any suggestions

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
YORCHI said:
I have 2 extra stock Mach 1 rims that are 17x8 I'm pretty sure. A buddy of mine has the same car, same rim, and he's got 275/40 tires on it...every shop, and even a customer service rep from Micky Thompson told me it wouldn't be a good idea to run 275 drag radials tires on a 8" rim. Can I at least run some good street tires on that rim like my friend has, he as them on and they look fine and he says hes never had a problem with them...
I'm looking for 2 17x9 inch rims i can use for only drag radials so I'll have no problems, but I have 2 extra Mach 1 rims that I want to buy 275 tires for and use them for street racing, and have my 17x9 inch rims with drag radials for track use, while I keep my other 4 stock rims with the stock 245/45 street tires for daily use...any suggestions
gotta concur with the bad idea camp.

The largest yuo can go is 255/50, I think.

Go to Tirerack.com for fitment qs.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have 275/40/17 Nitto Drag Radials on my factory 17x8 rims. I've had them on there since Christmas of last year with no problems at all. I could get sideways just passing a car at 80mph with street tires, and these hook great. They hook better in the rain than my Khumos did, too. I will say that if you have too much pressure they will wear the inside out quicker. Just keep a check on tire pressure and you should be fine. Most people don't get 8K miles out of them daily driving, but as long as your not doing doughnuts every weekend you should get 12K, well worth the price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yes you can go with 275 with out any problem

i have 04 GT with 275 40 r17 dunlop sp9000
i love it and i use them everyday

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get 255/45/17's!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.