Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my days off are going fast (back to work the 3rd) and I have planned tomorrow to put in my Steeda shifter mount bushings.

The instructions say I need to pull the driveshaft BUT I have done things in the past with a shortcut or two and I am wondering if I can do it without pulling the driveshaft? If you have done it, and can give me a few pointers, I will thank you. :worship

·
Registered
111 Posts
i installed my hurst shifter without taking out the driveshaft.work from both the top and bottom.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes you can.
A 13mm wrench for the front and a 10mm deep socket with a fairly long extension for the back.
The front is kind of a pain, space gets tight when the bolt backs out. Just position yourself correctly.

I raised the front to put in my shifter but I would raise the whole car if I did it again.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done and it is easy to do.

Well... I did it. It was very easy and there is no need to pull the driveshaft out at all.

Mine is an '06 GT and I used 10mm deep socket for rear nuts. The front was 10mm as well, but I used an open/boxed end wrench for it. The 13mm in my case was for the nut for the shifter/trans linkage joint. I raised the entire car up about a foot and let it rest on jackstands.

The toughest part of the job for me was getting the rubber boot engaged onto the shifter below the floor level when I was putting it all back together. Getting it onto the body seal was easy. I suggest to anyone doing this: Leave the rubber boot on the shifter and only push the rubber through the floor from the top side. (What I just said here will make sense to you when you are doing it.) I am NOT talking about the upper leather boot.

I installed all the kit parts with the shifter resting in limbo between the floor pan and driveshaft. You only need to articulate it a few different directions/angles to easily install the bushings. I did no work above other than to the boots and shift knob removal/re-assembly. No help is needed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Oh yeah, 10mm for the front. whoops.

I agree, putting the boot on the shifter is the hardest part. Major suckage.

Read somewhere someone used the rubber coated handles of a pair of plyers as a tool but by the time I was that far into it I was committed to not let the [email protected] thing get the best of me.

You'll have to let us know how you like it.
I'm saving my review of the Hurst till later, takin the kids to lunch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts