Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently obtained a 1999 v6 mustang and i am looking for any info. or links to info. on an engine swap. I also have a 351w from a 1979 thunderbird that was originally going to find a home a fox body. i have since sold the fox body and the v6 in the 1999 just wont cut it. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx for looking.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yeah a 351 windsor will fit. The 1995 Cobra R came with a 351 and since the 99 and 95 bodies are the same it will fit. But it will need some modifications to make it work. It might be easier to base your build on the Cobra R as far as bellhousing, tranny, computer and wiring harness and such. Im sure the SN95 experts will chime in with alot more detailed info.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the K-member will definitely have to be changed,being v6 to v8 swap , and since that engine was not offered, modification to mounts will probably be required. Engine management will definitely be a concern. Are you going OBDI (95 and previous) or OBD II with the computer/sensors?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Without a major rework that 351 has less power than a 302, maybe even the V6, 1979 is probably the worst year in history for anything performance...unless you have a boatload of cash and you are a mechanic this is a bad idea...sell everything and just buy a V8 stang

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I was assuming that you would rebuild the 351 and get some good heads a nice cam and maybe even go carb. Fuel injected will get expensive. Since the 95 Cobra R was a very limited car Im sure prices for alot of the parts for it are gonna be expensive if not downright hard to find.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a 351w in my 94 GT. I paid $500 for it and its from a 94 F-250. I put a set of AFR 185 heads on it and a trick flow cam with Edelbrock RPM intake. It runs high 12's as of now. Eventually I will rebuild it and stroke it to either a 408w or a 427w.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts