Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know, can I take a pushrod for 1966 Mustang manual brakes, and use it with a dual bowl 1967 master cylinder designed for power drum brakes? It looks like the 67 master cylinder has the groove inside to accept the clip from the manual pushrod. The master cylinder bore diameter and port threads are the same size and in the same position for 1967 manual and 1967 power.

Looking for anyone who has done this (turned power master cylinder into manual) and can advise whether it works fine, or causes problems.

Drums x 4 btw

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I changed my 65 to the dual reservoir 67 MC manual brakes, but I did it 74, on a power brake booster do not use the clip (I personally leave the clip out it makes it easier to change the MC the next time. The trick on these conversions is to come up with the right length push rod, if I remember right I had to use the push rod for the 67, I don't know if the rod is the same length for the power version versus the manual version. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed my 65 to the dual reservoir 67 MC manual brakes, but I did it 74, on a power brake booster do not use the clip (I personally leave the clip out it makes it easier to change the MC the next time. The trick on these conversions is to come up with the right length push rod, if I remember right I had to use the push rod for the 67, I don't know if the rod is the same length for the power version versus the manual version. Good Luck.
Well the power version doesn't use a rod, the vacuum booster has a nub that sticks in there and pushes in. So I know the right rod for me is the 66 manual pushrod, I should be able to push that inside my 67 dual reservoir and snap it in place, and then I'll be ready to roll. (I hope!)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here are the facts.

Any power Master (Drum, or Disc) will not have the machined area inside the piston to accept the clip ring on the push rod. SO, if you use a manual push rod on a Power Master, it WILL NOT Clip in to keep the push rod in.

If your pedal has a device to keep it in, good, if not---You may take a wild ride.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the facts.

Any power Master (Drum, or Disc) will not have the machined area inside the piston to accept the clip ring on the push rod. SO, if you use a manual push rod on a Power Master, it WILL NOT Clip in to keep the push rod in.

If your pedal has a device to keep it in, good, if not---You may take a wild ride.

Dan @ Chockostang
Then I need to go buy the 67 manual master cylinder. I just ordered the 66 pushrod from Summit yesterday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts