Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dealer fixed my hood cancer problem and now they tell me that I can't wax my hood for 90 days. The bodyshop guy said that the paint is cured but not fully cured. Can someone please explain why you need to wait 90 days for paint to cure.:headscratch:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
For the paint, to harden completely. But you can still use, a hand-glaze on it, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shop foreman said nothing but soap and water for 90 days.
It's bug season where I live and I'm worried about the bug guts eating into the paint.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That is pretty standard for new paint. Just clean it carefully (mild soap and water) and wait it out. That's better in the long run. There are still solvents and additives that need time to evaporate out completely. Waxing will seal those in.

Frank

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just lay a large wet towel over the hood, bumper, etc.. I do this, and then pour a little more H2O over the towel/rag once it's in place. Let it soak for a while and the bugs come right off! If it works on my airplane that has 200 MPH bug strikes,....it'll work on your car.

flyboyjack

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
That's standard when you paint anything...paint takes time to cure under the surface...don't wax it! nothing is going to happen to your car if you drive it for 3 months in the weather without wax.

As long as they put a clearcoat over the paint, that will protect the paint job.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Don't wax it!!! Wait the 90 days. Not waiting can cause the wax and paint to mix. Not a good thing.

The Dealer fixed my hood cancer problem and now they tell me that I can't wax my hood for 90 days. The bodyshop guy said that the paint is cured but not fully cured. Can someone please explain why you need to wait 90 days for paint to cure.:headscratch:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay, what about a brand new car straight from the factory (I've got a 2010 on order)? Do I assume that the paint has "aged" 90 days by the time I take delivery? Also, does anyone put a sealer wax on anymore, or just wax frequently?

Its been a while since I bought a new car.....

·
Registered
341 Posts
Okay, what about a brand new car straight from the factory (I've got a 2010 on order)? Do I assume that the paint has "aged" 90 days by the time I take delivery? Also, does anyone put a sealer wax on anymore, or just wax frequently?

When I buy a new car, I look at the build date and give it 90 days from therebefore waxing it.

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
I would listen to the dealer. 90 days just wax it and you will be fine.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Don't wax it, the paint needs to cure properly. In fact, you don't go by the number of days so precisely (on day 91 you break out the buffer). What you go on is if you still smell the paint, or 90 days, or which ever is longer. At the end of 90 days and you still smell it, don't wax.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The paint need to breath, to evaporate gaz that is in the paint. If you wax it you keep the gaz inside and can have fish skin.
But 30 days if enought after that you can wax it

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
I know how you feel. I get impatient as well.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
mike is right, no wax, but you can hand-glaze it. 3M makes a very good hand glaze, part # 05990. and it works very, very good on black. it also makes a good "pre-cleaner" before wax. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Factory paint has a catalyzer in the finish to speed up the curing process. You should be good to go as soon as you get the car.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
ALL paints/clears use a catalytst. by the time you get your 2010 it will be safe to wax. rule of thumb is 30 days. and this is per P.P.G.s instructions, not just guessing. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
326 Posts
When i got my car repainted from my accident, i was told 30 days.

·
Registered
717 Posts
wizards

i got some of this stuff to take out some swirl marks out of my hood right after i got it painted.....and let me tell you.... this is the BEST product i have ever used......if you have ANY swirl marks on your hood/car what ever......it will take it out in seconds......plus this is SAFE to use on freshly painted cars.....here's the link. :bigthumbsup

Wizards Products Store :: Automotive :: Appearance Products :: Shine Master Polish 16 oz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.