Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never been a huge fan of fuel additives, but my recent experience with Seafoam has changed that. I had heard of using it prior with boating, particularly using it at beginning of season after being winterized. I read on another forum about how it helped greatly with older Nissan vq30's, so I bought a bottle poured 12 ounces in a full 18 gallon tank and 4 ounces in break booster to intake line in my 140k mile '99 Maxima aka winter beater and let her set for 10 minutes. I bought this car from the original owner that had every reciept and did a pretty good job with maintenace.

What happened next was amazing, not just the smoke show when I restarted her, but the next day when after redlining it a few times, it suddenly woke up and is a different car. Although the car had not been running bad, it really made the car run 100% better, dramatic increase in throttle response and accelertion. I probably have over 10 gallons of gas/Seafoam mix still in car. I noticed it is still blowing a little white smoke at WOT, I am assuming this is carbon build up. As soon as gas is on empty I plan on changing the oil, although still looks very good at almost 3k miles since last change.

Just wondering if anyone has used it and are there any known concerns with using as directed ( I did not do not plan on adding and to crankcase). My Mustang now has 35k miles so I am wondering about running recommended amount through gas tank alone with several other higher milage vehicles.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
I have seen a few threads on here about it and the concensus generally seems to be good

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a search on Seafoam before starting this thread. I did see mention of it, but no threads on it. Also did a internet search, and did not find anything derragatory. Curious as to the consensus by the knowledgeable of the forum.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I too have seen nothing negative about it

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I used it in my 04 GT. My car only has 56k so I had very little smoke. I put it in the vac line oil and the gas tank. MPG might of went up a little. Don't add it to quickly or you can hydro lock the engine. You really have to screw up and dump it in like crazy to do that

·
Registered
239 Posts
Over Thanksgiving weekend I went home to visit my parents. My dad and I added it to his truck, long story short it's a 12yr old truck and drove great but after the Seafoam it drove better then new.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ive been using seafoam for years. Havent put it in the Mustang yet. I typically I start using one can about every 4-6 months once the engine gets to around 30-40K on the odometer.

Oil Gunk remover saved me over 4K in engine work from Honda when my 05 accord started going into limp mode at 80K. The filter for the ivtec system became clogged and honda wanted to tear the engine down and rebuild. One $6 bottle later and the clog was gone. That was 40,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Been thinking about trying it in my service van 12yo with 130K on it but I am slightly afraid all the carbon and crap in it is the only thing holding it together.

·
Super Moderator
2,393 Posts
I was a mechanic for 35 years,now retired,I have ALWAYS used Seafoam,I put a 1/2 can in every tank of gas in my 2011 GT, it is also an upper cylinder lubercant and keeps the moisture out of the gas and the fuel fresh.Ethonal in gas draws moisture and gum"s things up,it is also great for winter storage,never had one problem in 40 + years of useing this product.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info, thanks. I will be buying more after seeing what it did for my Maxima! I wish I had known this a long time ago.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Seafoam is good stuff. I grew up in Minnesota, where it was first available, and my dad has used it for years on everything from winterizing his old cars to snowmobiles and tractors.

If you use it in the crankcase on an older car be warned that you may develop oil leaks...not that that leaks are caused by the product, but that it can disolve the sludge that was formerly plugging the leaks.

I've used a few cans in the gas tank on my 2011 GT. A nice side benefit is I think it makes the exhaust sound more burbley when downshifting. :D

G

·
I'm still afraid of the stuff. Don't think I would ever use it unless I had lots and lots of miles or some kinda issue.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I probably have over 10 gallons of gas/Seafoam mix still in car. I noticed it is still blowing a little white smoke at WOT, I am assuming this is carbon build up.
The seafoam will cause the engine to smoke just by itself. I used some in my used civic when I went through it. You gt some in the intake, let it sit, then start it up and add a little more while someone bumps the throttle. Your neighbors will hate you though, it smokes a lot when you clean the intake :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
worked awesome on my last vehicle

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
A. I can see products like this being advantageous for vintage cars or motors that are handicapped by modern fuels which are lacking some of the vital properties or ingredients they were designed to run on decades ago, but if that was your situation you'd probably actually be better off searching for non-ethanol alternatives.

B. Do additives like this have any impact on the factory warranty?

(to be blunt)

C. If your car is running great why would risk a $35K+ investment to try out some nickle-nighty-eight additive?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
C. If your car is running great why would risk a $35K+ investment to try out some nickle-nighty-eight additive?
To keep it running that way. I want to clean intake and stabilize fuel while it sits this winter.

I have not used it in my Mustang yet, but will before putting it away for winter (8oz in full tank). But I did use in my Kohler powered John Deere mower with 200 hours and it took the valve tick out completely that it had when cold, also did wonders for my chainsaw!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Any write ups on how to get this in the intake on the 2011+ engines?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I would be very careful about using fuel additives.... check the owner’s manual first, I know it says something, I just cannot remember what... I try to stay away from additives and just use a top tier gasoline...

It cracks me up… people buy the cheapest gas they can find then buy the best fuel additive at the parts store and all of the money saved on cheap gasoline was lost because now the person has to buy a fuel additive to clean the crap out of there gas tank…

G

·
Used sparingly, additives do work to help maintain a vehicle. As an example, I used Slick 50 in equipment at work back in the 1980s. It greatly improved the performance when I started using it in my vehicles. The problem was that other manufacturers did not use the same technic required to keep the teflon molecules in suspension, or people failed to read the instructions. Changes in manufacturing has resulted in my no longer needing to add it to my oil, but for a long time, it was a worthwhile additive.

The hard part is knowing what additives to use and how frequently to use it. Especially in this day of tight tolerances. I might try using seafoam on my older cars, but right now, all I do is a can of fuel injector cleaner twice a year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts