Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to fit a monte carlo bar into my '66 coupe. It's close, but now quite there. I've had the front end jacked up for 2 days now to try to get them to spread and they have, but not quite enough. I was wondering if anyone had exact measurements of how far apart the sides of the fire wall are supposed to be where the monte carlo bar fits in? I bought the bar from mustangsunlimited.com and it seems to be a asian made repro, so i was trying to verify that the bar is the right length.
Thanks! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
964 Posts
I don't know measurements but I did have 2 taiwan made bars I tried to fit and they both were too long, I then found out scott drake started making their own bars not too long ago, I bought one of theirs and it dropped right in and fit perfectly, was even a tad short, and I believe they are USA made. Are you jacking the car up at the engine crossmember under the oil pan? that is the best place. Chances are your bar is just a piece of crap, go to cjponyparts.com, they have scott drake bars, but it seems only in stainless and satin. Mustang depot: Monte Carlo Bars has SD bars too.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had the same problem. Made several attempts to make it fit. Even used a hydraulic jack to spread the towers apart. Could NOT get the holes to line up. Finally, put one end on with one top bolt and two spring cover bolts. The other end was 4 to 6 inches from where it belonged. Grabbed the bad end and just pulled it in to place. All the holes lined right up. It appeared the angles at the end of the bar were off when it was welded.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Monte Carlo Help

Well, I'm working on an early 65 Mustang. I found my chassis diagram on google but its for a 64-65... I don't know if the chassis changed much on the 66. But I went ahead and sent you the link if it would help... its just a google search I ran. I also measured my Scott Drake curved monte carlo bar and I measured 41 3/4" from the bolts center to the other. (I measured the rear one since the front one you would have to drill it out.) I hope that helps and good luck!

65 mustang chassis diagram - Google Search

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the replies. Davids65302 thank you for taking the time to measure the monte carle bar in your car! Mine is the same as yours so I don't think the bar is the issue. My car had minor front end damage when I got it so it's probably just off a bit. I finally got the bar in though. It took a lot of work. I had it jacked up for 2 days to let the towers sag back out and then I bolted one end of the bar in and pushed and shoved and spread the other tower out just enough to get the other side in. It looks good!
Thank you all!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the replies. Davids65302 thank you for taking the time to measure the monte carle bar in your car! Mine is the same as yours so I don't think the bar is the issue. My car had minor front end damage when I got it so it's probably just off a bit. I finally got the bar in though. It took a lot of work. I had it jacked up for 2 days to let the towers sag back out and then I bolted one end of the bar in and pushed and shoved and spread the other tower out just enough to get the other side in. It looks good!
Thank you all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.