Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like the tpms but it gets on my nerves. also it looks expensive to replace. do you have to get new ones at every tire change. also can they be turned off

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I for one want to know if all of a sudden I have lost air pressure in one of my tires:bigthumbsup or if one's low so I dont wear it out unevenly. They dont need to be replaced when your tires are changed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What do they do that gets on your nerves? If you have the correct amount of air in your tires, you won't even know they are there. If you don't have the correct amount of air, they are doing exactly what they were intended to do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can buy new TPMS sensors nearly anywhere including Am. Muscle & the bands & clamps to mount them & they are easy to install on new rims & inexpensive too. Swapping tires on OEM rims has nothing to do with the sensors but changing your rims for aftermarket rims does.

They are a part of your ABS system as well so I HIGHLY suggest you not "play" w/them. Get the issue resolved whether it be a bad valve stem, tire lip to rim leak or whatever but PVC tubes in the trunk & all those "gadgets" folks have done are irresponsible & hazzardous. For that much effort & ingenuity, build a spud gun but do NOT play w/your TPMS sensors. My local Ford dealer reset mine for free & the dash stopped flashing & the irritating sound stopped too. You asked...

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
They are a part of your ABS system as well so I HIGHLY suggest you not "play" w/them.
REALLY???? Part of the cars ABS system... Please enlighten us...

How in the world does the ABS system in the pre-2007 Mustangs work with out them.... For that matter, why does the ABS work properly when I run summer tires with (God forbid) NO TPMS sensors in them.....

... but PVC tubes in the trunk & all those "gadgets" folks have done are irresponsible & hazzardous. For that much effort & ingenuity, build a spud gun but do NOT play w/your TPMS sensors....
A spud gun.... Wow......

Words to live by... :eek:hknow

·
Registered
57 Posts
what's your point ???

REALLY???? Part of the cars ABS system... Please enlighten us...

How in the world does the ABS system in the pre-2007 Mustangs work with out them.... For that matter, why does the ABS work properly when I run summer tires with (God forbid) NO TPMS sensors in them.....

A spud gun.... Wow......

Words to live by... :eek:hknow

Who's talking anything about "pre-2007"
READ!!!
I was VERY clear in what I said!
Talk to SawGrass Ford!
Service advisor there said this when I asked to have them deleted 2 years ago...!
What was your point anyway? Do you suggest F'ing around w/those sensors???

And yes!

Before playing with the TPMS with links to PVC & valve stems...YES!!!! what else you got to blow time & space genious???

I have an idea...why don't you come around sometime & speak to me dorectly instead of stretching your balls w/your keyboard???

....[/quote]

·
Registered
57 Posts
What are you just looking to F' w/me???
You picked the exact right guy my man!!!

On another note...did you build that stupid PVC grenade in your trunk?

Let's go Boy!!!

You need directions to So. Fl.???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey,
You got a problem w/me or did you just get into something with someone & looking to vent???

Did you completely miss the point or you again looking to play tough guy?

I shared what a Ford employee expressed to me at the dealership regarding removing the TPMS sensors on my 2007 GT & I further made a point referencing posting a link to possibly the stupidest thing I've ever seen; ie, purposely defeating a system meant to save & protect the driver & passenger...then again anyone can do whatever they want & then act stupid when it backfires... Get a life!:nono:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do they do that gets on your nerves? If you have the correct amount of air in your tires, you won't even know they are there. If you don't have the correct amount of air, they are doing exactly what they were intended to do.
it just seems like everyday i drive the car its on.. i dont need a constant reminder that i have a slow leak in a tire or valve stem. i was just curious if they could be turned off so i didnt have to buy new ones when i get some rims.. heres the wheels i want and to the right it says add tpms sensor kit and it says 200 dollars. if thats not the right kit let me know so i dont waste money

Staggered Chrome FR500 Wheel & Tire Kit - 18x9/10 (05-09) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't see how they affect the abs, my knowledge is its just there to moniter the tire pressure and the abs has it's own moniters and computer. I don't see how it affects anything else, but then again, my car is an 06 and doesn't have them. I wonder if you did leave them off though if it'd throw a c/e light. ? hmm

I've never heard of a way to turn them off, but perhaps someone familiar with tuning a car, i.e a dyno shop could shut it off/ I mean they can turn off the traction control so why not the tpms ? just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ABS systems & TPMS sensors shares the same software on "many" models because; as a tire loses pressure, it is essentially smaller in diameter & as such "appears" to be spinning faster to the ABS system causing a system fluctuation...done. You getting this BleuLou??? Any attempt to "F" with the TPMS system only increases the chance of an unexpected mishap w/the ABS system should an event occur wherein the pressure in the tire decreases such that...well, you take it from here know it all...!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Question......

Thinking of buying a set of factory 2008 take off wheels with the factory P-Zero tires already mounted with the TPMS bands inside(these are the split 5-spoke forged wheels) from Craigslist.

Will I need to re-program my TPMS system? Who or how is that done? Many thanks! Tom

PS, I thought the sensors sent a signal when they sense low air pressure inside the tire and not differences in wheel rotation speed----hence the sensors in the pressurized PVC pipe not triggering a low tire signal. ABS and traction control work off the wheel RPM difference.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
ABS systems & TPMS sensors shares the same software on "many" models because; .... You getting this BleuLou???
"Many models"??? I'm talking about the system used in the 2007+ Mustangs and that is not how it works....Are you getting this pguza?

.. Any attempt to "F" with the TPMS system only increases the chance of an unexpected mishap w/the ABS system should an event occur wherein the pressure in the tire decreases such that...well, you take it from here know it all...!
Here the catch, I'm not trying to play the know it all. You on the other hand....:rolleyes:

...PS, I thought the sensors sent a signal when they sense low air pressure inside the tire and not differences in wheel rotation speed----hence the sensors in the pressurized PVC pipe not triggering a low tire signal. ABS and traction control work off the wheel RPM difference. ...
It does but don't let Pguza hear you say that, he might accuse you of being a know it all..... :D

... Will I need to re-program my TPMS system? Who or how is that done? Many thanks! Tom
You will need to re-program it (on the system in your Mustang, as opposed to the many other systems we received a lecture on)...

There is a reprogramming tool that you'll need. It's a small hand held thing that you need to hold up to the tire you are reprogramming...

I did a quick search and found a bunch on ebay...
ford tpms reset tool | eBay

Also found this:

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.

6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.
NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts