Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing , the car will have a tune here shortly but I was planning on putting some pacesetter long tube headers on tonight and going on a club run Sunday but the car want be at the shop to tune it until sometime next week. I plan on then putting the cold air with new fuel injectors on but wanted to try the exhaust this weekend, plus putting it on takes time so having it done before the week starts will help. Just wondering if anyone has ever put long tubes on and ran an 05+ safely with no tune to adjust for the change. I know any change in the air going in requires a tune but not sure about air going out. Dont know if the on board computer will compansate and adjust for the change. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well Im guesing there nothing thats to big to be concerned about, no ones thrown a wrench at me yet for the idea. I guess it will be fine until I get to tune it next week other than the light for the lack of the 2 sensors for the cats..... There going on in 15.. keeping my fingers crossed. :hihi:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Don't worry about the tune for minor mods. You got it right in your first post. Your computer will adapt.:hihi:

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I would get a tune of course, do not see it being a problem.You may get a light with a code. I would get a better set of headers though.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I don't know about those pacesetters on a mustang, but I can tell you about my buddy who put some on his transam. He did pick up horsepower and gained .2 on his times. He's got an exahust leak though after only having them on for a week. You can hear the hissing.

Why are you putting new fuel injectors on ?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
You need a tune for the LT's. Period. The computer MAY adapt, but you are going to be lean as hell until it does; if it does it at all.

Why didn't you just get an email tune to tide you over until you could get it on the dyno?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The tune will turn of the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
mine wouldn't idle on the stock tune with long tubes and cold air. i don't kno about just long tubes , i wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You need a tune for the LT's. Period. The computer MAY adapt, but you are going to be lean as hell until it does; if it does it at all.

Why didn't you just get an email tune to tide you over until you could get it on the dyno?
I just installed Kooks 1.75" long tubes and besides the P0155 (O2 sensor heater circuit) I havent any issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know about those pacesetters on a mustang, but I can tell you about my buddy who put some on his transam. He did pick up horsepower and gained .2 on his times. He's got an exahust leak though after only having them on for a week. You can hear the hissing.

The fuel injectors I got are are the ford racing 24# .01 tolerance injectors. I got a really good deal on them and they are made to much better specs than the motorcraft 23# and guarantee equal flow on all the injectors. I figured with all the other mods I plan to put in the car they would only compliment the set up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

As far as the pacesetter headers everyone I’ve known to get the ones with the armour coat have had great success and still to this day work fine. Now they are nothing compared to kooks but when you comparing $400 to $1400 that $1000 difference is not enough to justify buying the kooks. As far as the hissing on your friends car I would say he got a bad set of headers which can happen with any number of brands like BBK, Macs and the lower end like those. I’ve even had a friend get a bad set of SLP's with the flange warped. Allot of guys are going to slam on the pacesetters and 9 times out of 10 they have no experience with them and take the first impression based off of cost. Their just as good if not better than BBK, Macs, Pypes or hooker. Ive had allot of bad experiences with BBK on a couple of my mustangs and there are no BBK mods on this mustang and there never will be so I don’t think their even comparable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tune will turn of the O2 sensors.

I’m assuming you mean that the readings from the O2's not being hooked up and shut off through a tune will affect the computers actions. I’m going to play it by ear literally and go easy until I get the tune on it. I have a X3 sitting around but unfortunately I can’t use it because its locked from my use on my other Mustang I sold otherwise I would use it to turn off the O2’s

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I’m assuming you mean that the readings from the O2's not being hooked up and shut off through a tune will affect the computers actions. I’m going to play it by ear literally and go easy until I get the tune on it. I have a X3 sitting around but unfortunately I can’t use it because its locked from my use on my other Mustang I sold otherwise I would use it to turn off the O2’s
You need to disable the rear O2s or you'll throw a P0420/P0430.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
YES it is annoying. I would just reload the tune to fix the annoying light.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
You could drive it but I would do it very carefully. No hitting the gas. And No the PCM will not be able to compensate for that much difference. You do need the front O2s and will need to turn the rears off. You can't turn off the O2s with the X3, It has to be done in the tune.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You could drive it but I would do it very carefully. No hitting the gas. And No the PCM will not be able to compensate for that much difference. You do need the front O2s and will need to turn the rears off. You can't turn off the O2s with the X3, It has to be done in the tune.
I have no idea where you got the 'you can't turn off the O2's with the X3'. Reason being is because with my X3, I have the option to turn off my rear O2's. I just walked outside and checked right before I typed this message, just to be sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have no idea where you got the 'you can't turn off the O2's with the X3'. Reason being is because with my X3, I have the option to turn off my rear O2's. I just walked outside and checked right before I typed this message, just to be sure.
Yes it does have the option in the X3 to turn them off but unfortunately my X3 is locked to the Black mustang I recently sold. Didn't really have a choice other wise he wouldn't have driven off in the car with out the tune. I have to fork out 150 to just unlock the darn thing. 250 more and I can own a dyno computer that hooks to my laptop. Any body want an X3 for 100 bucks :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup 150 to unlock it, thats 250 for a barely used X3. Maybe I'll toss it in the classifieds:shiny::shiny:

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
There is just no way that putting LT’s with no tune on is going to be dangerous. What do stock GT’s make at the rear wheels? 275hp? And I know there have been claims of 25hp with long tubes but I don’t buy it, especially with what is, for all intents ad purposes a “stock” motor. I’m thinking 18hp MAX. That’s about a 7%hp increase. But just for fun, and to shout up some of the whiners lets call it a 10%hp increase. Now lets say that Ford has their stock tune dialed right in perfect (for making max hp/tq) for a NA motor which is about 13:1. But I have never seen an OEM car make anywhere near that. They are usually down in the 12.5:1 range (a bit fat for bad choices in fuel, etc). So now you take that 12.5:1 motor, throw some headers at it that gain at MAX 18hp (a 7% increase) and what do you theoretically get? You get a motor that will be 7% leaner. That’s only .875:1 leaner than stock for a A/F ratio of 13.375:1, which is still safe by MILES (actually it’s just about ideal for a high performance motor with aluminum heads ad block).

Of course all the above calculations are rough and don’t take into account the billions of variables that make up a true ruing A/F ratio. But they are going to be close. And an A/F ratio of 13.375:1 is nowhere near dangerous. You could add a whole point more and it would still be under schizometric (14.7:1) which is not ideal for maximum power, but certainly safe. And in addition to that it’s not like you get to 15.7:1 and the motor melts down. It would just be lean, run hotter than it should be and not put out much power. But permanent engine damage, no way.

Yes, it would be ideal to tune for the headers. But we are talking about a super lazy, mass production V8 that was designed for the lowest common denominator and all the stupid crap that it could be subjected too. Compared to a “built to the max” 3v the stock motors are incredibly safe. How safe? Well I just rammed enough air into mine to increase the HP 72% without removing a valve cover. I think it’s fair to say that the stock motors are pretty stout.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
This is where I got that info from the X3 instructions from SCT. I guess there have updated your abilities, which is a good thing. :bigthumbsup

USER ADJUSTMENT OPTIONS
‘05-06 Mustang GT
87 Octane, 91 Octane, 93 Octane, Economy, Speed Limiter, Idle Drive, Idle
Neutral, Shift Point 1-2, Shift Point 2-3, Shift Point 3-4, Shift Firmness 1-2, Shift
Firmness 2-3, Shift Firmness 3-4, Rev Limiter, Cooling Fans, Spark 0 - 2000,
Spark 2000 - 4000, Spark 4000 - 8000, WOT FUEL, Axle Ratio, 30lb injector, 42lb

injector, 90mm Lightning MAF, C&L CAI, JLT CAI, PHP CAI, Steeda CAI

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.