Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a set installed on the rear wheels, they have been fine for me. As always, recheck the torque of the lugs that fasten the spacers to the hubs, after a few hundred miles of driving.
I do not race my car, so don't know how they would stand up at the track under hard launches.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I don't think they would sell them if peoples wheels were flying off. I too have them on mine and haven't had a problem, like he said re tighten them occasionally especially when you first put them on.

·
Registered
688 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
The 25mm (1") spacer leaves about 1/2" of wheel stud protruding through the spacer , this can be an issue if your wheels don't have a mounting flange with a web or relief machined between the holes on the backside . Otherwise you will need those 1 1/2 " spacers or be prepared to trim off the studs . The oem 03 Cobra wheels fit without trimming the studs .

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info, guys! I just replaced my heater core, so I'm thinking of doing this next. I will probably use the 35mm h&R set if they are better.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
For daily driving I can imagine these are okay to use, but I don't know if I they are to trust when racing. I can imagine it is easier to twist the axle shafts or damage them when hitting a curb with these.

I really want a set of the 35mm or 1.5" ones myself, but I'm afraid of what consequences they might yield later on. It's a cheap option for us whom cannot afford getting 10.5" wide rims with 315 tires in the rear if we want a more aggressive stance with the staggered look.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for all the info, guys! I just replaced my heater core, so I'm thinking of doing this next. I will probably use the 35mm h&R set if they are better.
The entire weight of the car is carried on the hub-centric ring , the wheel studs hold the wheel in place and resist the twisting force of torque . Without the hub-centric ring the wheel studs have to do the job alone . Lose a wheel at 80 mph in heavy traffic , well you don't want to go there !

Here is a shot with 1" H&R spacers , 9" 03 Cobras & 275 Nittos . The tires stick out to the rear fender lip and i'm not sure the spacers can stay after the car is lowered in the spring .

Attachments

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I had a '77 camaro that I put off the shelf "universal" wheel spacers on it. They located off of the wheel studs "chamfered lug nuts...so lug nuts really". I did have one wheel go flying off....it sucked "BIG" time. It came off with only 20 miles on them. Striped three of the five wheel studs and simply broke the other two.

This was a Camaro in stock form. Nothing wild....something like 145 flywheel horse power.

Plus one regarding the "hub-centric"....the others can come off and some do come off using the ones that locate with the wheel stud.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hub Centric wheel spacers

I did a lot of research before I purchased wheel spacers. I think the wheel spacers that get a bad wrap are the type that ARE NOT hub centric. Stay away from those. I went with a 30mm set from Stage 3 motorsports.
Here is the link.
Mustang Parts Search @ Stage3Motorsports.com

I am really pleased overall with the type I purchased. I will recheck in a few weeks to make sure the wheel spacers are still torqued to spec. If you follow the directions you should not have any problems.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a 65 mustang with wheels off of a newer model 05' I think. (275/40/17) in the rear they were hitting the leafs. I did my research and learned about hub centrics. I bought the 1" and replaced my studs with 1" studs in the rear. I also put 1" in the front but had to cut off the 1/2" sticking out. Have had no problems in 4 years (knock on wood). I'm maybe pushing 300 horse. 302 roller rockers, solid cam w/.512 lift headers, exhaust. Rear end blows but that's another story. I bought mine on eBay. 50.00 bucks a pair. Good luck!

·
Banned
944 Posts
this thread is making me want these to bring my rear wheels out...:gringreen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wheel adapters flew off this morning!!

I ended up getting wheel adapters from transdapt and sure enough after taking my time coming to work this morning, my back tire came off rear axle! Sheared the factory studs right off, im running 05 bulliits 17x7 on the back and kept my stocks on thr front till I figured out what these would be like, so far not happy! Anyone else had this happen? The adapters still tightly secured to wheel, but my factory studs are bent and sheared, smh not sure I wanna risk a second round of that

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had the ones from MM never had a problem. Then again I never used them on the strip which a lot of people recommend against doing. I think a lot of these thick stud adapter spacers, well the good ones you can use on a road course. I think thats what they are really made for. Usually the thinner ones are made for back spacing issues.

Sent from a bar in Joisey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts