Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering if putting on a set of Steeda Performance Shorty headers will be worth the investment-any thoughts?
What I'v modified already is on my signature so any recomendations on this????

·
Registered
413 Posts
Shorties do nothing for performance gains, go with LT's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah my brother was saying the same thing...if i go with long tube gotta lose the off road h pipe i got now and that i guess where price is a factor. i was thinking of along the lines of keeping the engine cooler w/ stainless steel headers and of course the looks versus the rusted cast iron ones??

·
Registered
160 Posts
My .02
I will be going with shorties because I plan on going turbo. It all depends on your ultimate goal. If you want to remain N/A or go supercharger go with longtubes. If you want a turbo get the shorties, as long as the turbo kit doesn't replace the stock manifolds.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Well said, make them go with your long term goals. But there is nothing like the roar of LT's :D

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Long tubes is the way to go. I think Chris at Tillmans is still having a sale on them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think LT are a waste of money if your not supercharged!! Unless you want to stay n/a and you have every other bolt-on then by all means go ahead with LTs

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think LT are a waste of money if your not supercharged!! Unless you want to stay n/a and you have every other bolt-on then by all means go ahead with LTs
That's a good point. You could bank the money and put it towards a supercharger or go with nitrous oxide for the same money. A 75 shot would probably be about 70 rwhp and 100 lbs-ft instead of the 20 hp or so from headers.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Im wondering if putting on a set of Steeda Performance Shorty headers will be worth the investment-any thoughts?
What I'v modified already is on my signature so any recomendations on this????
Absolutely. For a little over $300 you'll gain about 5 hp peak but you'll also gain around 15 ft. lbs. of low end torque over the stock exhaust manifold. (Might help you make back some of the low-end torque you lost with the plate deletes) You're also emissions legal. Long tubes will give you more hp and torque but you'll have to replace your car's mid-pipe as well. For a name brand they'll end up costing you about 4 times the price. And although you're car could pass the inspection sniffer test they could technically still fail you. (That depends on how strict you State's inspection is)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have obx long tubes....bout the same price as shorties and make a nice hp gain. and they come with 2 h pipes 1 with resonators and 1 straight..you can get them off ebay for under $500.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah, but you deleted your cats, right? Not everyone thinks that's a good idea, legally or environmentally. A catted x pipe alone is $300 or $400 alone. Shorty headers bolt to the stock headers and I've seen them as cheap as $280 depending on the material used.

I almost forgot...here's a dyno that Anderson Ford Motorsports did with the JBA shorty headers.

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/2005mustang/00GTJBA-stock-headers.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok so get the pypes cats for $175 for pair and u are still far cheaper than most brands of headers and you have cats.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I did a little research on the web and it turns out OBX headers are made in China. That makes sense. For that price you knew they were either complete junk or made abroad. Seems like a decent part, but no way I'd ever buy them. Thanks, but no thanks. I do my best to avoid imported parts whenever possible (sometimes it isn't!). Whatever I'll buy will be made in the USA if I can help it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did a little research on the web and it turns out OBX headers are made in China. That makes sense. For that price you knew they were either complete junk or made abroad. Seems like a decent part, but no way I'd ever buy them. Thanks, but no thanks. I do my best to avoid imported parts whenever possible (sometimes it isn't!). Whatever I'll buy will be made in the USA if I can help it.
no prob just trying to give you some options, and as far as complete junk they are very nice pieces and if you look at them and then look at jba they dang near look like copys. all the welds are TIG and the stainless looks flawless....headers for the new cars are way to much money imo.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have to say a good pair of shorties are fine as long as you are not going to supercharge it especially over the restricting stock ones that have that crazy crimp in them. I used BBK shorties for a long time on my 308 with a 100 shot of NOS and worked great and were way better then the restricting stock ones. Any brand aftermarket shorties are better then stock headers. Also long tubes will hurt your torque if that matters to you but will give you more HP then shorties. I run MAC LT's because I went SC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.