Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 69 - 302 coupe out of storage today, but couldn't get it started. Last fall I replaced the starter solenoid and the regulator. The battery is charged. I can't get it to turn-over. I do not get a clicking sound, but it is a steady grind or buzzing sound.
Any suggestions on getting it to turn over?
thank you,

· Registered
2,204 Posts
Sounds like the starter gear is not engaging. Could be the starter is loose, the gear is not extending far enough, or something broke. Try to isolate the sound to the starter area first. Also look at the cables really well, they may be corroded under the plastic and not allowing the starter to get all the power it needs.

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I get no power to the car at all (not even the dome light) and it does nothing when I turn the key.
The positive connection to the starter seems fine. The battery is still fully charged and I think the starter solenoid is working. I tested for ohms and got a reading, although I am unsure what the solenoid reading is supposed to be.
Any suggestions to restore power and get it to turn over?
thank you,

· Registered
2,204 Posts
How are you verifying the battery is fully charged? 12v does not always mean it has enough power to do any work. Have you tried to jump the car and see if any of the lights will work? If they do, will the key make any of the gauges work? You may have a bad ignition switch. Turn the key back and forth a bunch of times and see if the surface corrosion will rub off. May have a wiring problem, but I would eliminate the switch first.

So, you will have to just troubleshoot in a logical order. It could be any number of things.

· Registered
1,348 Posts
to really test a battery it needs to be load tested. take it to a parts store like oreilly and they can load test it for you. also check your ground. that is usually the problem wire not the hot wire. if the ground is good and the battery load tests adequate take a hammer and tap the starter a few times sometimes the starter drive will get stuck. but if you are getting no power anywhere and your battery is not completely dead you have a wiring issue somewhere turn on the headlights they bypass the switch. if they come on but nothing comes on with the switch then the switch is bad. I am betting on either a bad ground or a bad battery.

· Registered
8,042 Posts
to really test a battery it needs to be load tested...
Very true. After charging the battery voltage might be 14V but when the starter is connected it could go to 5V immediately. Only a load test is meaningful and a starter makes a good load. If your battery voltage drops below 10V while cranking something is wrong. If it doesn't drop much at all then you aren't drawing any current which is also a problem.

Check battery voltage WHILE you are cranking the starter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.