Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an engine from a 79 crown vic... It's a 302 and had a throttle body with a computer controlled distributor. I swapped the throttle body for a 2 barrel carburetor and I put my old points distributor in place of the computor one. I rechecked the firing order and it's the standard ford 15426378. When I crank the motor I get a "poomf" sound and I see a flame shoot up out of the carb and sometimes manifold. I've 180'd the distributor like 5 times already. I cant seem to get it started and I know it runs cuz it ran fine when I bought it

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I got an engine from a 79 crown vic... It's a 302 and had a throttle body with a computer controlled distributor. I swapped the throttle body for a 2 barrel carburetor and I put my old points distributor in place of the computor one. I rechecked the firing order and it's the standard ford 15426378. When I crank the motor I get a "poomf" sound and I see a flame shoot up out of the carb and sometimes manifold. I've 180'd the distributor like 5 times already. I cant seem to get it started and I know it runs cuz it ran fine when I bought it
Hi,
Describe exactly, your procedure for installing the dizzy. Also, is this a points dizzy?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Think I see where kenash is going with this. Most backfires thru carb indicate the timing is off.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got motor to start and run nut then it shut off and wont start back up.... What i did was poor oil in the cylinders to get compression back up whicj i think worked but yeah it wont start back up now and my timing is set properly now

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
got motor to start and run nut then it shut off and wont start back up.... What i did was poor oil in the cylinders to get compression back up whicj i think worked but yeah it wont start back up now and my timing is set properly now
Hi,
You stated it ran fine when you bought it.

What have you changed, that it does no run too well now?

Please explain your exact procedure of removing and installing the distributor. If you've removed the dizzy 5 times and re-installed, something is wrong in your procedure.
The basic tune up specs need to be re-checked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it to start and it was runnning strong. I have a points style dissy and finally got my timing right but now it wont spark so it could be my cap rotr arm or points. I got a crane electric ignition so this I hope will cure my problem

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
May or may not solve your problem. But if you're determined to go in that direction, make sure to wire it according to manufactures instructions. You have a resistor wire behind the dash wired to ignition switch dropping power to coil in run position. This is not compatible with some electronic ignition systems. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts