Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't believe this cam exists (I hope it does). The specs are posted on sutton high performance so couldn't I get a cam grinder to make them instead of waiting for Ford's to come out?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The cam grinder would need to have the same masters as the FRPP cams are ground from to duplicate the same lobe profiles.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think all the Hubub is they lope like the old E303 cams. I have the patience of Job. Come tax refund next year I plan on installing them!

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Everyone's installing cams for the sound... That's the wrong reason to install a cam. Remember those BBR cams from a year or so ago? They sounded great but that engine didn't last too long.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have heard the audio clips from the BBR cams. The valvetrain made more noise than a solid lifter V-8! Not good in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
im with STL I dont get this hype with spending all this money for 25rwhp. I would just do LT's and Nitrous on a stock block before Cams.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Installing cams for a big gain of 50 HP like in an LSx motor would make sense. Installing cams so your car just "sounds" like it is fast is absolutely crazy.

·
Registered
710 Posts
People spend more money on wheels and tires...than what it will take to do a cam swap. Funny how that doesn't get any flak.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I wanted a drag car I would have bought one and not waste 26grand on a 3600lb street car.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Everyone's installing cams for the sound... That's the wrong reason to install a cam. Remember those BBR cams from a year or so ago? They sounded great but that engine didn't last too long.

Hi stlwagon,

You got that one right! Who give a $%(%* about the sound? I want to sneak up smoke 'em. What good is a vintage sounding lope if the car has no stones? Buying cams for sound = ricer think. I have some nice stickers that are good for at least 15rwhp if anybody want to send me $500! LOL!

Cheers!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have heard the audio clips from the BBR cams. The valvetrain made more noise than a solid lifter V-8! Not good in my opinion.
Hi jonballi,

That's because it WAS a SOLID LIFTER V-8! The morons at BBR mickey moused up a set of mechanical lifters for the 3-Valve and stuck their poorly profiles cams in the car and it promptly blew itself to bits. Then being so smart they did it again with the same results and have decided that maybe they don't so much believe in their own B.S. anymore. They learned that B.S. is expensive.

HTH!

·
Registered
659 Posts
People spend more money on wheels and tires...than what it will take to do a cam swap. Funny how that doesn't get any flak.
Hi jonballi,

Hey, that's not true! I make fun of people like that all the time! Just ask stlwagon. 8^)

Cheers!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Installing cams for a big gain of 50 HP like in an LSx motor would make sense. Installing cams so your car just "sounds" like it is fast is absolutely crazy.

Hi Ricesmoker,

They be out there. Look up Comp Cams #127400/500 and the required bits #26125-24 and #700-24 or in Ti #702-24 and #5449. Depending on the motor combination 50-70rwhp if you are willing to deal with the lopey idle and lower fuel economy. But you need ALL of the bolt-ons plus a custom tune to limit cam advance to 20 degrees and if possible raised compression and some light port work to get the most out of these cams just like any other cam.

HTH!

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Hi stlwagon,

You got that one right! Who give a $%(%* about the sound? I want to sneak up smoke 'em. What good is a vintage sounding lope if the car has no stones? Buying cams for sound = ricer think. I have some nice stickers that are good for at least 15rwhp if anybody want to send me $500! LOL!

Cheers!
I'd also rather not rattle my teeth out of my head. My car rides rough enough as it is!:shigrin

·
Registered
137 Posts
if the price was more reasonable, i would install cams just for the sound, and a little power........i was about to do this, but im not in the mood (neither is my wallet) to spend almost 2 grand changing cams, valve springs, etc.........it just seems that the cams with no springs required are a waste of time, and the ones that give you good gains are way too expensive installed. I myself would love to have the choppy sound of a radical cam because the only thing i do with my car is drag race, besides drive it on the street..........I think it is a personal preference about the "sound" cams give you, some people see it pointless BUT some people love it (me).

·
Registered
659 Posts
if the price was more reasonable, i would install cams just for the sound, and a little power........i was about to do this, but im not in the mood (neither is my wallet) to spend almost 2 grand changing cams, valve springs, etc.........it just seems that the cams with no springs required are a waste of time, and the ones that give you good gains are way too expensive installed. I myself would love to have the choppy sound of a radical cam because the only thing i do with my car is drag race, besides drive it on the street..........I think it is a personal preference about the "sound" cams give you, some people see it pointless BUT some people love it (me).
Hi Silverstang07,

Do the cam install yourself! Just find somebody to help who has some experience and a garage with shop air and a few tools. There are no special tools required to do a cam and spring installation except for the shop air and sparkplug adapter to hold air pressure in the cyclinder to hold the valves up as you swap springs and the spring compressor tool you can buy at the local Ford dealership. You can do the swap in the car if you take your time and triple check your installation.

HTH!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I bought my cams purely for performance but if they make the car sound cooler then that's all the better. My Comp stage 3s have a pretty smooth idle. I can't say I don't wish it loped a little more because it's fun when you pull into the gas station and turn heads, but that's not the reason I bought them. I'd rather impress myself and my friends at the drag strip than some dudes at the gas station. But if I can do both I have no problem with that.

Did anyone here not buy their Mustang just a little bit to show off?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Hi Silverstang07,

Do the cam install yourself! Just find somebody to help who has some experience and a garage with shop air and a few tools. There are no special tools required to do a cam and spring installation except for the shop air and sparkplug adapter to hold air pressure in the cyclinder to hold the valves up as you swap springs and the spring compressor tool you can buy at the local Ford dealership. You can do the swap in the car if you take your time and triple check your installation.

HTH!
BRENSPEED sells the 16mm sparkplug adaptor for $30.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.