Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok if i put a fuse in it works well the horn doesnt work it clicks then after awhile the fuse blows 15 amp and the wires under the dash that lead to the horn relay (i assume) are really hot.

any idea on how to fix this problem or what it may be? gonna need an inspection here and cant use my cell charger or gps i plan to buy tomorrow

R

·
0 Posts
the relay is probably bad or you have a chaffed wire some where ground things out......

the lighter could be bad also......

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im thinking it the relay cause i just remembered the horn use to stay on which is why i pulled the fuse in the first place and now if i put it in 2 minutes later or so it pops it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Reg is right. The cigarette lighter shares the fuse with the horn and a couple other things in my car.

My horn didn't work and it was the cigarette lighter socket. I rebuilt mine with new insulators. If the horn only clicks it sounds like a bad horn. A horn that does not vibrate (because the interrupter contacts in the horn are shorted) will often draw very high current.

My horn problem was a bad lighter socket.

Tom

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine clicks in the steering wheel itself like a hair trigger as well doesnt take much to get it to click

ill have to figure something out and trace it back maybe take out the lighter socket and see

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sounds like yours is a different problem, in the steering column.

Took me a while to find mine because the fuse would randomly blow. I'd shift hard or hit a bump and the fuse would blow. Turned out to be the lighter socket and Auto Zone had a universal replacement I made work.

Yours sounds more like something in the steering column.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Mine did the same thing, but I was putting the wrong fuse in. I was putting a 25 instead of 20 for the horn. Make sure you are using the right fuse. I believe mine was a 20 for the horn. Mine is a 1990, so I don't know if it is different from year to year?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mines a 15 i think maybe its a 20 it pops on its own though just sitting doing nothing thinking its a blue colored fuse so probly 20A

yeah my cruise stopped working as well time to put my walnut 4 spoke Grant wheel in i think

·
Registered
200 Posts
I dont even have a fuse it mine! When I bought the car the horn didnt work so I checked the fuse iand it was missing completely. I put one in and the damn horn stays on constantly!!! I pulled the thing out so fast! HaHa I still havent gone bck to see what the problem really is...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
my problem was the foam bewteen the horn plates in the steering wheel had broken down and made contact all the time keeping the relay picked up - which burned out the relay. Took the wheel apart and replaced the foam/relay and the problem was solved - then the horn fuse blew. Shorted horn so I had to repalce that too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.