Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
This may have been posted a a lot before, but i haven't really got the answers i want.

So first of all, i'm 17 and i'm gonna get a mustang soon, I want a 2011 or 2012 Mustang V6 Premium. However, i do have a couple of questions

1) I can't decide whether I want the coupe or convertible, keep in mind that i live in Canada so our winters are pretty bad and i dont think I am going to store my car in the winter since it is my daily driver, so what do you all think?

2) Manual vs Auto?? Which is better in snowy and icy conditions?? but i'd love to have a manual and be able to shift on my own.

3) Is it better if I import a car from the US or buy a Canadian car? I've found many in the States that cost around $7,000 less than Canadian mustang.

4) As soon as i get the car, i plan on installing the following parts
GT front bumper with CS front fascia
Saleen Grille
Boss 302 rear diffuser
Roush Axle Back exhaust
GT500 rear spoiler

And i don't want to go bankrupt with all the shipping charges, so does anyone know any companies that offer free shipping to Canada, or any Canada based companies?

I've been on this forum for a long time and I want to really join your community with my own mustang, and not just a spectator, so I'd appreciate all the help you guys could throw at me.

Thank you :smilie

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Your 17 and getting a new car? Ridiculous. Get a job and earn a car instead of letting mommy and daddy buy it. You wont ever appreciate anything. What a disgrace

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I cant even afford a two year old mustang and i'm 20 and working full time...

1. I wouldnt get a convertible.

2. it depends on if you actually know how to drive. or you just think you're an expert like we all did when we were 17...

3. you would have to compare import fees and such with the extra cost of buying one already in canada.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your 17 and getting a new car? Ridiculous. Get a job and earn a car instead of letting mommy and daddy buy it. You wont ever appreciate anything. What a disgrace
first of all, i'm buying a used car, not a brand new one, and secondly, I need a car to go to my university since i live far away and I can't even use the bus.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant even afford a two year old mustang and i'm 20 and working full time...

1. I wouldnt get a convertible.

2. it depends on if you actually know how to drive. or you just think you're an expert like we all did when we were 17...

3. you would have to compare import fees and such with the extra cost of buying one already in canada.

Is it that the convertible isn't practical due to the weather or just the looks?
And well if i don't get a manual car and start learning, how will i learn to drive stick, and I do know how to drive manual, just not perfect.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
first of all, i'm buying a used car, not a brand new one, and secondly, I need a car to go to my university since i live far away and I can't even use the bus.
You're buying a car that was new last year... its not like you're buying a 1995 honda civic just for the gas mileage. which is what i would be looking at in your situation..

well maybe your situation is unlimited funds provided by someone else.

either way.

get an automatic if you dont know how to drive a manual at all. in the snow you'll end up stuck..

A convertible is a piece of clothe over your head in a region where it gets 15 below on an average winter.... i'd rather have a solid roof and keep warm. plus a convertible that isnt garage kept will need a new top every 3-5 years unless you wanna drive a car with holes in it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're buying a car that was new last year... its not like you're buying a 1995 honda civic just for the gas mileage. which is what i would be looking at in your situation..

well maybe your situation is unlimited funds provided by someone else.

either way.

get an automatic if you dont know how to drive a manual at all. in the snow you'll end up stuck..

A convertible is a piece of clothe over your head in a region where it gets 15 below on an average winter.... i'd rather have a solid roof and keep warm. plus a convertible that isnt garage kept will need a new top every 3-5 years unless you wanna drive a car with holes in it.

It's not exactly unlimited funds, those would be the people at my school who drive BMW's, Benz's and Maserati's.

but i have heard many people say that manual is better since you can stay in 2nd gear and not have the car shift on its own, i dont really know, not an expert.

It will be parked in a garage, but i never thought about the temp, i'm sure it does get really cold , so i'd rather have the coupe + its waay cheaper.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd go with a hardtop just for the fact the convertible tops require special attention for a DD especially for winter. (friend owns a mustang convertible and told me about how he can't wax the top at a car wash so he has to use special leather care once a month when he goes for a car wash).

For the trans I would probably go with a auto since winter is around the corner and you would want to be as comfortable as possibly when driving a rwd 300hp car in the winter especially in Canada. (drove a 1999 mustang v6 for my first car a couple years ago, let me tell you it was not a fun experience being new to stick and all, if I didn't prepare myself I would've been in a heap of trouble, I had studded nokian winter tires which cost me $1300 with a shovel and I think 100 pounds of sand in the trunk. This car only had 200 hp btw compared to your 300 hp car your getting).

But I guess I'm in the same situation as you since this is gonna be my first time driving in the winter in the mustang I currently own now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's not exactly unlimited funds, those would be the people at my school who drive BMW's, Benz's and Maserati's.

but i have heard many people say that manual is better since you can stay in 2nd gear and not have the car shift on its own, i dont really know, not an expert.

It will be parked in a garage, but i never thought about the temp, i'm sure it does get really cold , so i'd rather have the coupe + its waay cheaper.
O right advice if you do decide to go with the manual, "shift, shift, shift" keep your rpms low otherwise you will spin out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd go with a hardtop just for the fact the convertible tops require special attention for a DD especially for winter. (friend owns a mustang convertible and told me about how he can't wax the top at a car wash so he has to use special leather care once a month when he goes for a car wash).

For the trans I would probably go with a auto since winter is around the corner and you would want to be as comfortable as possibly when driving a rwd 300hp car in the winter especially in Canada. (drove a 1999 mustang v6 for my first car a couple years ago, let me tell you it was not a fun experience being new to stick and all, if I didn't prepare myself I would've been in a heap of trouble, I had studded nokian winter tires which cost me $1300 with a shovel and I think 100 pounds of sand in the trunk. This car only had 200 hp btw compared to your 300 hp car your getting).

But I guess I'm in the same situation as you since this is gonna be my first time driving in the winter in the mustang I currently own now.

I'm probably going to buy one in January or February so my dad's friend who is a driving instructor said he will give me a couple of driving lessons with manual transmission on icy and snowy roads, so i'll see how that goes and decide on whether to get the auto or manual, but i'd love to get a manual, just too much fun!

And yeah thats it, I guess i'm going to get the hardtop, much cheaper to buy and not much care needed and it will keep me way warmer i guess

Good luck with your mustang this summer :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I deff think manual is better in snow

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ignore that guy, what an ass!

Welcome to forum. A used v6 is probably a pretty good buy right now and a practical as well as fun car. Diffinitely avoid the performance pkg as the summer tires would not work for a DD in winter unless you are of changing them. Originally I was shopping a Mustang Club edition convert before I went another route. Only Mustang I could own would be a manual, but thats just me. I do not think if you are smooth with clutch there is a allot of difference driving in winter vs an auto. People have been driving rear wheel drive manual cars for how many years? My nieghbor is a Mustang vert guy and says always shop for them on a rainy or cold day, the price is lower! Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ignore that guy, what an ass!

Welcome to forum. A used v6 is probably a pretty good buy right now and a practical as well as fun car. Diffinitely avoid the performance pkg as the summer tires would not work for a DD in winter unless you are of changing them. Originally I was shopping a Mustang Club edition convert before I went another route. Only Mustang I could own would be a manual, but thats just me. I do not think if you are smooth with clutch there is a allot of difference driving in winter vs an auto. People have been driving rear wheel drive manual cars for how many years? My nieghbor is a Mustang vert guy and says always shop for them on a rainy or cold day, the price is lower! Good luck with the search.

Exactly man, I came here to get some help, not to get lectured by someone i don't even know!

Well it's going to be my first car, so a premium V6 without the MCA or Performance package would be more than enough, since i'm not going to be taking it to the track or the drag strip. And i think i'm going to get a manual coupe, since many of you guys said manual isn't that bad in winter.

Thanks a a lot, appreciate your help

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you have never owned a manual transmission car....I say why not start now? That's what I did with my 2004 Acura. It was the first MT I've ever owned and I did just fine. And believe me...if I can do it, anyone can! :grinroll:.

I would probably go with a coupe instead of a convertible, considering the winters in Canada. The only good thing about the 'vert would be the extra weight over the rear wheels. Extra weight in the snow with rear wheel drive would be a bonus! I'm not sure how well a convertible top performs when it gets cold, however.

Whaaaaaat? I guess you know this guy's personal finances to assume everything it going to be purchased for him? Are you psychic? Can I borrow your crystal ball to get some winning lottery numbers?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Lol buying a 1year old car is a new car.. im 22 my first car was a 96 v6 firebird at 19 then worked my way up to a 98 z28 now im on my 04 gt which i work my ass off to make the payments on. Whos paying for your 2011? Thats what i thought

R

·
0 Posts
First car? Manual? Snow? 17? Driving long distances.

I'd look for a FWD car that's cheaper.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
First car? Manual? Snow? 17? Driving long distances.

I'd look for a FWD car that's cheaper.
Wb a 1 yr or two yr old subie wrx... They are sweet

·
Registered
318 Posts
Lol buying a 1year old car is a new car.. im 22 my first car was a 96 v6 firebird at 19 then worked my way up to a 98 z28 now im on my 04 gt which i work my ass off to make the payments on. Whos paying for your 2011? Thats what i thought

Good for you, my first car was when I was 16 and it was a 2001 Chevy s-10 which was new that year, guess what I paid for it at 16. Then I bought a fully loaded 2003 monte carlo ss in 2006 and guess what I paid for it at 21. In 2009 I bought a 2006 Trailblazer SS AWD fully loaded and modded it, guess what I paid for it at age 24. And finally in 2012 I bought my 2012 Mustang PP at age 27 all by myself. Just because that's your car history and you paid for them doesn't mean that's everyone's situation nor should it be. Stop being a hater, and if you don't like the thread then don't read it or comment on it, its that easy.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Let the guy live his life, jeesh.

I didn't get my first 'new' car (Mustang in my case) until the age of 29, but there is no reason to be bitter here guys.

Honestly, the very best thing you can do for good winter driving is get a set of Winter only tires and swap between winter/summer tires between the seasons. You are going to want the most traction in winter, I know this because I drive my Mustang in 1+ feet of snow and my saving grace is the fact that I have winter only tires and two sand bags in the back. With this setup you will be able to out trek most SUV's through driver skill.

Yes, ultimately manually shifting gears to a higher gear will gain you better traction off the line, and in most cases starting in 2nd is the way to go in slick conditions, I agree. And in deep snow you wanna keep mediocre RPMS constant - on the edge of traction to continue your momentum. However, do you really want the complexity of learning how to drive a manual in addition to the most challenging driving you will experience? (harsh northern winters) Also, at the track, a manual mustang will get beat by the double-clutch autos any day of the week. In addition, the autos get better gas mileage and are not notorious for shifting woes (I've gone through one manual transmission already).

1.) Tires - The best all season tire is worse than the worst winter only tire. Tires are the most important part on your car - they give you grip in icy, water and accident avoiding conditions.
2.) Driving Class - There are lots of "High Performance Driving Schools" out there, where they teach you far far above average driving skills, and I would highly urge you to do a little research, find one near your area and tell your parents about it. Not only does it lower your insurance, it will make you a better driver and let you play around on a road course ;)

I have the performance package on my Mustang, but I also have a swap set of wheels and winter tires. I absolutely love it and would not change a thing! I've got better traction than any regular mustang in the summer and the winter, have a sport tuned suspension from the factory, sport computer mode, all without losing EXTREMELY valuable road clearance (DO NOT LOWER YOUR CAR) or giving you higher insurance rates!

Welcome to AFM! You will get a different suggestion each one, but my best advice is to do your own research and use the knowledge given here to aid your research. Good luck :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
79 Posts

Who are you you to judge his situation? Take care of your own business.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts