Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he guys man i cant waite till saterday i will be taking my 06 gt to talladega super speedway. i live about 10 mins from there.there will be vet, musle cars its open to the public as long as you can stay above 95+ mph.i will be running with other mustangs will get 5 laps and and then eat lunch and then 5 more laps.is there anything i need to do to make sure my car can handle runing 115-120+mph for probally like 30 miles at 100+ temps here in alabama.i just changed my oil amsoil synthic and my gears 410 have close to 2k miles on them.so my question is can my car handle this and? this is my dd so dont wont to damage it.or do you guys think with my 410 gears and these high speeds for so long of a time will be to bad on my motor and tranny.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
do you guys think my stang can handle this our not.what i am worried about the most is with my 410 gears.i will be running at probally 4k-5k rpms for close to 13 miles straight with temps being 100+.and also what are my tires top speed stock perllies.they are z rated but i dont know what that means.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
:scared

Eep. I don't know what to tell you.

IMO, it doesn't sound like your car is ready for this race. :headscratch:

In long high speed races, I think 4.10s are way to much.

Make sure you read the first line in my sig before you take any of this to heart though. :bigthumbsup :gringreen

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sounds like a fun day, but not sure about the 4.10's :headscratch: Your car can do it but, you will probably need a pit crew for fuel-ups :hihi: Have a good time; Thats a great track, with alot of history.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it is not really a race and i have had my car with 410 gears up to145+ mph thats not a problem. and i will fill up before i go and will probally only use a quater of a tank its only 5 laps and the track is 2.5 miles long so like 13 miles.you dont race just will be cool to run my stang at talladega dont have to worry about cops are hurting some family on the road.but worried that my tranny will get to hot with the 410 gears.was hoping stlwagon would give me his opinion.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
You will want to make sure you have good tires. Yes tires are very important. If you had some beefier sway bars that would be a +. Only have a little more than what you need in the gas tank. Have fun.:bigthumbsup I am jealous , I have always wanted to do this.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea bkid i have the stock perllies on them they are in good shape they and the car have 15k on them.wonder what speed there rated at?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Stoenr should chime in on the tire rating. Id say a Z rating is good for 150mph? I think you'll be ok for 5 laps. not like your goin to run flat out. I got to run 2 laps at Lowes Motor speedway in my 69 Mach 1 :) but we never ran over 65mph.
you see where Bill Elliott was goin to try and set a new closed coruse record last month but blew a tire:( in a modified Mustang, Brent Hyjak car.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
The tires will be fine. They will lose grip before you kill them from the speeds/time you will be on them. Traction would be my concern. Obviously I never driven at Talladega, lol, but just an educated guess, watch the traction, especially as they heat up. Just like heating street tires up on a drag strip, they will actually lose grip.

I would suggests 40psi in the right side tires, 35-37 in the left.
Best even to ask others that are there with experience as well.

I've ran my car in extreme heat on the road course, 3500-6500 rpms up n down either WOT or full brakes.
Cruising speeds I think should even be easier on the car.

Get a video!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey thanks stoenr yea that was going to be my next question.what air presure to run in my tires? i run them normaly with 32 psi what they call for.i think traction wont be a problem i mean we wont really be racing just cruzing at high speeds.dont know really have never done this before i just know you have to be able to go atleast 90+ at all times.i think it will be like driving on the interstate just a lot bigger for the people that have never been to talladega super speedway it is huge probally 20 30+ acres or more.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
In addition, Eng. temp should not be an issue, nor the gears.
My temp was climbing on the road course, but on the straight away you could see it slowly fall. I see no issues with running the car the from the factory.
I would love to be able to do that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.