Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made a camera mount for under $7! :bigthumbsup
Just went down to harbor freight and got a double suction cup handle (like for moving glass and windows), a 6mm bolt, and drilled through the handle to make a camera mount. It holds on great and it was dirt cheap. Here's a pic and a video. The guy in the reflection is my thug friend Dylan.

Homemade Camera Mount Test: 2007 Mustang - YouTube

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'll have to go over to Harbor Freight and pick up one of those!

Any pictures of it mounted to the car and with the camera mounted?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Wow, that holds up pretty good. Definitely post some DIY details with pictures of the set up!

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's pink! :p

I LOVE harbor freight for this reason.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where did you mount it? The front windshield?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Very cool! I was just going to zip tie my iphone/case to my grill and see if that works, this is way more practical. Ill be going to that hardware store soon.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
nice setup i really want to know how it looked on ur car

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright guys here's a step by step: It's pretty simple.

Step 1: Obtain suction cup.. thing. :yelwacko:
Step 2: Go down to your local hardware store with your camera you're going to use and find a bolt that threads into it. The one I got was about 2.5" long and 6mm with a pretty low thread count. It all depends on your camera though.
Step 3: Get your handy dandy drill and a drill bit JUST smaller than the bolt and drill your hole vertically through the handle.
***Note: I bored out the hole on the bottom to be just big enough for the bolt to slide through, and left the hole in the top smaller so I could thread through.
Step 4: Because the handle is plastic, you can thread through with the help of a wrench, vice grip, whatever you like.
Step 5: Now that you have your thread sticking out of the handle, you can just screw the camera on and go for it!

Optional: There is a common piece to a tripod called a ball head. It's the part that allows you to swivel your camera up and down, left to right, and tilt. I'll be adding this feature soon, so I'll keep you guys updated.

I can definitely say this thing holds on. I had some mad wind going (as you might be able to tell from the video) and even afterwords the suction cups were a little tough to pull off lol. Here are some quick pics of it on the car in various spots:

Thanks for checking it out!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Get the hell out! How genius of you! Good job!! :bigthumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts