Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems when I clean my car and I go out for the day even for a few hours it gets almost as dirty as before. I understand the car is black and I hate dirt so I'm always looking for anything.

Im curious to find out some suggestions on keeping the car clean between car washes (which I do about once every 5 or 6 days).

One situation is lets say you just cleaned your car and you drive to go to a car show and next thing you know you got 1 or 2 bugs and a tad of dirt. What sort of items would work best to maybe bring in the trunk so that when you arrive you can use to clean/spiff it up.

(I got the whole car washing part down, but I cant really take a hose with running water with me in my trunk lol)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Either don't drive it between car washes, or wash it between car washes.

In all seriousness though, Meguiars (or however the hell you spell that) makes a spray that they call a detailing spray or something similar. That and a microfiber towel should help you out. Another possibility is a clear bra (which I have on all my cars, and love/recommend endlessly) and in most cases the bugs/dirt will be on the bra, in which case you can clean it with a plastic cleaner and a microfiber towel.

Some black car owners may be able to chime in with some more black specific suggestions, I personally refuse to own a black car. I owned one 10 years ago (out of the 25 or so cars I've owned) and NEVER AGAIN! :gringreen They absolutely look amazing when clean but it's so tough to keep em clean and don't get me started on swirl marks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Garage it or cover it over nite if you dont have one. Other than whats been suggested, you can change some of your driving habits.
Drive through the city or anywhere where there isnt much loose dirt such as farm land. As for bugs you can keep your speed below at or below 65mph. the slower the speed the more likely a bug will just flow into the air stream thats flowing around your car the higher the speed of course will increase the chances of a bug splat. Also you can follow another car at a respectable distance so they take the majority of the bugs floating about. Makes a great excuse for speeding!

I know that is sounds strange that ive actually put thought into this thing but i do have something vary special that i drive on some occations. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
148 Posts
For years all I had were black cars...until I got my Grabber Blue :nogrinner...anyway....I use Zaino products...you can use other similar stuff if you want, but I use the detail sprayer in between washes and good cloths. Every two or three days the stang gets a quick 15 minute wipe down with the stuff. Quick and easy. If it doesn't rain and no real dirt gets on car I will go a couple of weeks before using any water at all. A polish (Z2) and clear seal helps protect against the bug stuff. A good coat of that stuff and that detail sprayer makes keeping my stang an easy thing! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13 Posts
California car duster for the dust and a good spray detailer such as Meguires Ultimate and a spray bottle of water for the bugs on the front bumper and windshield.Get some nice mircofiber towels,two for detailing and two for removing the bugs.

·
Registered
420 Posts
if its just dust id say a california duster those work pretty darn good
For years all I had were black cars...until I got my Grabber Blue :nogrinner...anyway....I use Zaino products...you can use other similar stuff if you want, but I use the detail sprayer in between washes and good cloths. Every two or three days the stang gets a quick 15 minute wipe down with the stuff. Quick and easy. If it doesn't rain and no real dirt gets on car I will go a couple of weeks before using any water at all. A polish (Z2) and clear seal helps protect against the bug stuff. A good coat of that stuff and that detail sprayer makes keeping my stang an easy thing! :bigthumbsup
California car duster for the dust and a good spray detailer such as Meguires Ultimate and a spray bottle of water for the bugs on the front bumper and windshield.Get some nice mircofiber towels,two for detailing and two for removing the bugs.

All of this. A good base sealant/protectant and couple coats of wax are absolute key to keeping a dark colored car looking good. If you can find a local "guy" to do it for you 2-3 times a year, then it's worth having it done. Make sure they use good products... Zaino, Klasse etc, not the cheapo 1 step stuff you can buy at WalMart. That stuff will not last as long nor protect as well. A well done Klasse application can last 6 months with weekly washing and detailing spray.

Then get a Cali Car Duster and use that between washings. After each weekly washing, use a good carnuba detailing spray and wipe down.

Keep a couple micro towels and some bug remover for bird crap and bugs and stuff for when you aren't home, and keep 'em in your trunk.

Dark colored cars look awesome when clean, but show the smallest amount of dust / dirt. Just something we gotta live with.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
when you buy a black car, you buy all the headaches that black paint bring along with it but you also buy the best looking paint when it's totally cleaned (clay/polish/wax)

when I placed the order for my 2012, my dealer was trying to sell me a near fully loaded 2011 5.0 with about 700 miles on it for 7 grand less than what I ended up paying for the 2012. that black paint was the deal breaker.

I'll never own another black car.. ever... unless it's a crazy deal that I have to have.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Start off with GOOD surface preparation, Black cars are especially difficult to keep clean!
Make the time to wash the car, before drying it down, use Meguires clay bar and work the paint surface down to a perfect smooth finish.clay baring is not a difficult job to do at all,use the supplied spray to "lubricate" the area you're working on and slide the clay bar over the paint, hand test for smoothness then move on to the next section.
Word of caution, if you have side or top striping, stay away by at least 1/2" and DO not get any clay into the striping,it really is hard to remove from the tape edge,also stay away from most trim pieces.
Take your time and clay the car perfectly... after you're done,give it another wash, wash as "linear" as possible,stay away from washing black cars in "circular" motion,circular motion washing swirls whatever microscopic dirt is on the car, creating swirl marks,wash with the body lines (example: doing the hood,wash starting from the middle,stroke from windshield to leading front edge,likewise with doors ect.
Once the car has been clay barred,washed and dried,apply a glaze sealer to the paint (you're doing ALL this to a cool body and NOT in the sun) I personally use "AUTO GLYM" Super Resin Polish,goes on pretty easy, come off pretty easy too.
Once finished, I suggest a coat of Auto Glym "High Definition Wax", again it goes on easy, and buffs off to a blinding shine.
You will be blown away by the end result, guaranteed!
Smoothing out the paint with a clay bar, then sealing it, and finishing off with a high quality wax will make most dirt particles unable to "stick" to paint work, this is especially true with splattered bugs and bird droppings, they simply come off real easy with any detailer spray suggested by others.
In between washes I use a California Duster,again I move it over paint in a linear manner to remove light dust.
1 layer of wax is good, but having a few coats on it helps protect the paint, especially black paint,this stuff goes on thin,so its more of a microscopic amount of protection, mine is 8 months old and I have about 4 coats on now,gleams like a diamond with NO swirl marks anywhere.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here I was thinking I'd be able to come to save the day, but it looks like you've already got a lot of good advice!

I swear the mustang gets some sort of electric charge while driving which might explain some dust build up. The funny thing is now that I have a good sealant and wax on my car I don't get shocked every time getting out of my car and I have less dust. However, any type of buffing you do on your car will generate static. Whiping on a last coat of your favorite quick detailer will help eliminate it. I've often wondered if rubbing your car with dryer static sheets would help too. Hmmm

·
Registered
420 Posts
<snip>

I've often wondered if rubbing your car with dryer static sheets would help too. Hmmm
I have a couple friends who swear by wiping down the interiors of their cars, including the inside windshield with them, I haven't tried it, yet.

B

·
0 Posts
I owned a black 350z. Besides Nissan paint being so soft and swirling whenever you breathed on it the wrong way, any dirt or dust on the car just seemed magnified. However, immediately after a wash and wax, my car looked like a mirror. I kept it garaged all the time, but even after just a drive to work and back or just driving for an afternoon on the weekend made my car look like crap. I have now switched to silver, grey or anything with a metal flake in it. Those colors or types of paint tend to conceal the dust and dirt much better and blend in better with primer if you have small scratches etc. I still believe a black car can look the best compared to any other color, but the upkeep is just too much for me.

·
Registered
449 Posts
had same problem with my sterling grey , after like a day or two it would be all dusty. solution california duster!

·
Registered
105 Posts
After you wash, use Zaino Z8. It helps repel dust by reducing the static build up after you put in all that elbow grease into waxing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've struggled with having a black mustang now, had a vapor silver one before (soooooo much easier....I had no idea). I run into the same problem with it getting dirty. I wash it then 2 hours later theres a layer of pollen on it after just sitting in the parking lot. I have used a swiffer duster with good success, you just gotta use a few of the disposable brush things to dust your whole car, but it grabs that dust right up. Its a super quick dust fix. But I'm still learning how to take care of the black so probably listen to the other guys on here before me :)

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I wanted so much to have a black mustang, but the reality of my situation (old man back, living in Germany, and having just had a black BMW) made me go with the ingot. I hope it turns out to be what I expect.

There are so many good products on the market nowadays that all you have to do is watch a few good videos and read some decent detailing blogs. I prefer Wolfgangs, Zaino, McGuires and Klasse stuff, but there are just so many good products. I have a garage full of half-used stuff and I often combine depending on what I'm looking for.

Listen to the guys in here and you can't go wrong. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
if its just dust id say a california duster those work pretty darn good

I wouldn't use one of those to dust my 1979 wheelbarrow.

Invest in the highest quality microfiber towel, get some detailer, dilute it 50/50 with water, use sparingly, and you will avoid scratches. Takes me less than 5 minutes to quickly walk around the car.

Save the cali duster for mopping floors and where you don;t care about scratches.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
All microfiber towels are not created equal. The ones from Wally's for instance snag on your skin but the good ones will feel soft to the touch and not cling or pull like that.

I am particularly enamored of the ones from Griot's Garage. They also have a special solution just for washing your microfiber towels. It doesn't mention controlling static as one of the things it does but static has not been an issue after several washings.

PS +1 on California Dusters but only use on lint and very light dust, not a really dirty car, you know good judgement, and all that. I've used them for years at car shows and never any issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.