Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Have a question, live in Ontario and it is winter so it is cold, the last few days my car (05 Mustang Gt) when I start it up in the morning and driving and when I throw it in Neutral it feels like it is dragging. For example if I am driving along and throw it in neutral the car almost appears to be braking or slowing down. After the car is warmed up, the engine temperature is about half way on the gage it doesn't do this. Also last week it was warm out and it wasn't doing this but prior to this warm spell when it was cold again it was doing it..

Taking it in for service next week, any thoughts????

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
wguttrid said:
Hey guys,

Have a question, live in Ontario and it is winter so it is cold, the last few days my car (05 Mustang Gt) when I start it up in the morning and driving and when I throw it in Neutral it feels like it is dragging. For example if I am driving along and throw it in neutral the car almost appears to be braking or slowing down. After the car is warmed up, the engine temperature is about half way on the gage it doesn't do this. Also last week it was warm out and it wasn't doing this but prior to this warm spell when it was cold again it was doing it..

Taking it in for service next week, any thoughts????
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but you shouldn't be doing cold starts in cold weather. The oil needs to reach a more fluidic state before you start driving. Won't blow up your engine, but you should let it warm up a couple min in cold weather and let the RPMs come down before you go off.

Depending on what kinda oil you have in there, diff oils have diff viscosities. When oil sits on cold weather it gets more sludge like(which is why a lot of us use 100% synthetic. They can withstand lower temps without freezing up into a sludgelike state)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a problem similar to this in my old car (98 VW Jetta) and found out that it was because there was water in the emergency brake line. Apparently when I would park the car with put on the ebrake it would freeze and get stuck even though the brake handle was released. Try parking your car one night without the brake on and see (if it is cold enough) if it does it in the morning again...if not that might be your problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Could it be your brakes? I've read a couple of posts where there are problems with the brakes 'freezing' (e-brake especially) in cold weather. Could be that when you drive (you're hitting the accelerator and may not feel the additional drag) and then throw it into neutral (and let off the gas), the brakes are dragging your speed back down??? Would make sense, too, since the brakes would be warming up about like the engine does, so you would notice the drag lessening with the engine warming.... Dunna, just a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I was talking to a guy at work and he mentioned to get the brakes and brake lines checked.

Do you think this is causing undue damage on something driving before I can get it serviced.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Do you park it with your e-brake? if you do, there is really no reason to. Just put in in gear, even if you park it on an incline.
30 years of driving and I have always put it in reverse when I park.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Do you park it with your e-brake? if you do, there is really no reason to. Just put in in gear, even if you park it on an incline.
30 years of driving and I have always put it in reverse when I park.
Why reverse and not first gear?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
wguttrid said:
Ya I was talking to a guy at work and he mentioned to get the brakes and brake lines checked.

Do you think this is causing undue damage on something driving before I can get it serviced.
I have never used my e-brake for anything but when a friend borrowed my truck, they used it and of course, from years of non use, it locked up. I was able to free it by yanking on the cable, where it enters the drum. I heard the e-brake used to be one of the most common problems on cars, across the board.

If you are wondering if it is a brake problem, drive it for a bit and get out. Put the palm of your hand on each wheel. If a brake is sticking, that wheel should be noticeably hotter than any other. Get it fixed, as you can boil your brake fluid and lose your brakes entirely. That is *really* fun. Once the brake fluid begins to boil, it generates bubbles that can be compressed, unlike the liquid brake fluid [gasses are also "fluids" but that's a different rant :)].

1 - 9 of 9 Posts