Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Here’s a list of random cars and their drag co.
I’m not sure how new they go up to. I saw a ‘10 though. https://www.oebv.at/system/files/celum/376739_drag coefficient.pdf

Probably is, just have to search for them. This is why NASCRAD is so restrictive of wind tunnel time. If you make it move slippery it means you have the same amount of power to go faster easier and safer with more down force. As simple as it may sound, this is why new vehicles don't have the old rain gutters above the doors. Wind resistance.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I think a brick is about 0.35 ;)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
There is a stretch of road by my house that is often empty. (No cars, driveways, pedestrians, or blind spots) You can see if cars are coming from very far away, so if something were to go wrong, I would be the only one in danger. I don't speed when other people are nearby. With all that being said, when it's safe, I take my 4.0 up to some pretty sick speeds. I often get up to 100-105ish before the rear end starts to float. The steering feels very loose and sensitive, but the rear feels like it shifts from side to side slowly. I'm sure the car could go faster than that if I felt comfortable with the suspension, but I don't want to risk it. What are some mods you would recommend for the car to feel sturdy at those speeds? I have a tuner with the speed limiter off, but the only suspension mod I have is rear BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets. Thanks.
Before even thinking about "what mod might solve this" you need to go through the steering and suspension to either make sure that everything is in good shape or (more likely) that there has been some deterioration.

Shocks and struts would be the first things to check. Next would be ball joints and tierod ends, bushings in the suspension, and the wheel bearings. Tire inflation pressures and/or too much tire width for the wheel width could be involved.

You mention LCAs and relo brackets . . . are you getting any clunks from back there? What I'm looking for here involves polyurethane bushings and bolt to hole clearances, possibly even the relo brackets shifting slightly if they weren't welded on.

Norm

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Better mpg and track time?
At least 1mpg better highway cruising gas mileage but hard to tell if there was any measurable increase in 1/4 mile trap speed. The car is certainly stable at 110mph though (I daren't go higher on our speed restricted roads).

·
Registered
168 Posts
At least 1mpg better highway cruising gas mileage but hard to tell if there was any measurable increase in 1/4 mile trap speed. The car is certainly stable at 110mph though (I daren't go higher on our speed restricted roads).
Bring her to Nevada. "Silver State Classic". 90 miles of unlimited racing. May and Sept. Classes from 85 to unlimited. And unlimited is just that. Record is 219.6MPH for 90 mile average.

How about some pictures of what we're working on?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Bring her to Nevada. "Silver State Classic". 90 miles of unlimited racing. May and Sept. Classes from 85 to unlimited. And unlimited is just that. Record is 219.6MPH for 90 mile average.

How about some pictures of what we're working on?
This is the only picture I have prior to installation but you'll get the idea:

It might be a bit of a challenge to bring my Scarlett to Nevada though as I'm ~7000 miles away. If I ever decide to do that, I'd probably make a stopover at Brenspeed to add a few more ponies first. ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is the only picture I have prior to installation but you'll get the idea:

View attachment 779466

It might be a bit of a challenge to bring my Scarlett to Nevada though as I'm ~7000 miles away. If I ever decide to do that, I'd probably make a stopover at Brenspeed to add a few more ponies first. ;)
That looks good. RDW in Reno, Nv. He is the man and knows his stuff on all things Mustang. Especially on how to go fast. He did the fresh air kit, and puter up grade on my son's 07 4.0HO Stang and 145 was possible all the time. And that was with 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
That looks good. RDW in Reno, Nv. He is the man and knows his stuff on all things Mustang. Especially on how to go fast. He did the fresh air kit, and puter up grade on my son's 07 4.0HO Stang and 145 was possible all the time. And that was with 3.73 gears.
How many miles does it take to hit 145?

·
Registered
168 Posts
How many miles does it take to hit 145?
Depends on the car weight and HP. Usually 1/2 to 3/4 at the most. I knew a guy back in 1973 that had a Mach 1 351C, shaker scoop, auto and 3.00 posi rearend, (daddy owned the Ford dealership) and people would want to drag race him. He'd always race them 1/2-1 mile run. He always won once those 3.00 gears got up to speed., about 130MPH.
I had a 71 Torino Cobra 429CJ with 3.50 gears. I put a Crower solid cam, .560" lift, Hooker headers, 800 Holley, etc, it would get up there real fast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a stretch of road by my house that is often empty. (No cars, driveways, pedestrians, or blind spots) You can see if cars are coming from very far away, so if something were to go wrong, I would be the only one in danger. I don't speed when other people are nearby. With all that being said, when it's safe, I take my 4.0 up to some pretty sick speeds. I often get up to 100-105ish before the rear end starts to float. The steering feels very loose and sensitive, but the rear feels like it shifts from side to side slowly. I'm sure the car could go faster than that if I felt comfortable with the suspension, but I don't want to risk it. What are some mods you would recommend for the car to feel sturdy at those speeds? I have a tuner with the speed limiter off, but the only suspension mod I have is rear BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets. Thanks.
Good tires?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts