Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help,My motor was overheating a little like almost a the line that goes to H if that makes sense,Well the guy I bought from wasnt into tunes ups or fluid changes.I changed atifreeze and drove,car did the same.Today pulled radiator and flushed,added old antifreeze,drove,car got hot again.pump makes no noise.My car is 25 yrs old,could it be the cat Im overlooking or ? Thanks for you help.:headscratch:

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The car's 25 years old and since the previous owner didn't keep proper maintenance on it, I'd say the water pump is 25 years old too. The first thing I'd do is get a high flow pump and replace it, I bet that's the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its kind of funny that it idles cool and when you drive it heats up,but I will do the water pump. Thanks

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
That's usually when it happens. When that extra load of driving it is introduced to the equation, that's when it'll heat up.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Couldn't it be the thermostat too as well?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
In his situation you'd probably wanna change both.....

·
Registered
826 Posts
Also...I would check the cap...if it is not maintaining the proper pressure...it will cause it to overheat...if you not getting any wine or fluid coming out the water pump hole...then it's still good...my guess is either a bad cap or thermistat...if you change the thermistat you might as well change the pump...there pretty cheap!

·
Registered
7 Posts
You said it idles cool, it also could be a bottom hose. The spring inside the hose could be wasted and collapsing the hose when you are driving do to the water pump trying to intake more water.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had the same problem on my 91 gt,i changed the the waterpump,flush out the block,new thermo,and it still did the same thing.but i found out that is was the clutch fan was bad,so i would check that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.