Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is the latest problem on my new purchase. haha.

My car will overheat only when I run the A/C. I was on the highway and the temp was getting pretty hot almost overheating, so I turned the A/C off and the temp immediately went down to about 180 degrees. I've done this test a couple times and it happens each time. I drove the car all day w/out the A/C today and no overheating.

My professor at school is saying it's the fan clutch. Anyone agree or disagree??

Also, if he's right and it is the fan clutch. What's everyone's thoughts on replacing the fan clutch vs. putting in an electric fan from another car? Do I get more horsepower from one, does one keep the motor cooler?

Thanks!
-Mr.Goodkat:gringreen

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
replacing a fan clutch is a 15 minute job, I'd go that route! You could put an electric from a newer Ford car but you'd had to wire it up etc.. I see your in Texas do this...
1. Replace Fan Clutch
2. Drain coolant and put in a 75% Distilled H2O 25% coolant mix.
3. Add Redline Water Wetter to pull the heat from the heads.
4. Change the theromstat to a 180!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I perfer the electric fan. Much better, they are easy to put on and better when under the hood you dont have to worry about losing a finger. Ah your in SA i could help you maybe i get bored easily

·
Registered
910 Posts
Fans

The post says the over heating occurred on the highway. lets assume there is a 60 MPH wind blowing across the whole radiator. What fan, clutch engaged or electric can match that? If it happened in stop and go it would be different. After checking the coolant (not water) level, I would make sure the fan clutch is correct for sure. But I would also make sure that the cooling system is free flowing. And that there is not an abundance of mineral deposits in the radiator. Have the system flushed and the radiator core inspected would be my course of action. A properly flowing cooling system should be able to run the car in 100 degree temperatures up hill with the ac running. Mine do.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had this problem and the "radiator for the a/c" was so filled with dirt and grime that when the a/c was on and that "a/c radiator" whatever its called got hot, if any air was passing threw it, it was hot air. I bought some chemical that you pray on "both radiators" and let it sit for awhile it like eats and breaks all the grime up and then you rinse with a hose. Mine didnt look like it had a bunch of crap in it but the water came out black for awhile. Then the car ran fine :headscratch:

·
Registered
437 Posts
the "ac radiator" is called a "condensor" for your future reference:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thats right, I forgot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm having problems with overheating in Houston lately on my 89 GT. I'm running a 50/50 mix and know this is not ideal for 100 degree weather. Isn't the mix supposed to be 70% Coolant 30% Distilled Water? And anyone know if this would help my car? I can't drive for more than 30 minutes before it climbs. Also I have a dual electric fan ran off a toggle switch, 3 core radiator, 180 thermostat, and new water pump.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
You got it mixed up stdttv12 you wanna run 75% Distilled H2O- 25% coolant mix, if you ran 75% coolant it would run even hotter!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah my bad I'm not sure why I thought it was the other way. Anyways I switched to a 70/30 mix the other day and the car is running at 210 degrees which I think is still warm. Not sure how to get the car to run cooler during these hot summer days in Houston.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Flex a lite 185 and Fluyidne radiator has solved my problems in the FLorida heat. Its a good combo if hooked up correctly keeps car cool enough and my car has an old vortech on it....good luck :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Yeah this summer has been a Crazy Hot down south but 210 does seem high, that's just sitting at a light with the AC on I assume right? Or is it that hot when your driving at about 40mph?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think that if you got a 180d thermostate, your car shouldnt go above 180d. I had this same problem a month ago, Here in Florida and its hot this year, it took a water pump,180d thermostate, 3row alluminum radiator, headgaskets and $134 worth of Evans coolant. Now I try to get it to 180d. If I am driving it will never reach 180d. Only if I drive and sit in I-4 traffic will it reach 180d. But it fixed me blowing coolant out of the overflow when I got on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.