Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On thrusday I finally got my first Mustang, a 97 4.6L GT, the paint is beautiful and it runs great, the only thing is that there is this clear sticker on the front of the car like where a bra would be, the guy that sold it to us said that it was a car peel off and that they put it on all of the cars that year... well it looks horrible, cracked and stuff. I really want it off, the guy said that I could take it to a body shop and they could get it off with a hot gun but I would have to do something to protect the paint, like put a clear coat on it, or I could just buy a bra and put that on there with out them having to take it off, but I hate bras.

Have you ever heard of a car peel off? my boyfriend, a mechanic, said that it was probably the plastic that is on the car when it comes out of the factory that they peel off and they just didnt take off that section or something and now its baked on there. What should I do?

Thanks
Kristin

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a clear protective film installed on the front of my truck instead of using an ugly bug shield. It is possable that is what it is. A body shop or detail place should be able to remove it. It is supposed to peel off but I have never tried it.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
eww... take it off. I'll bet a heat gun and a plastic scraper would work. If you don't want to risk it take it to a body shop to get some more opinions. When you get it off make sure you wax it real good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That looks bad enough for me to wanna come over and help get it off! Good thing OK is soo far away. My wife would not approve of me stopping by.

Is there a spot you could try a hair dryer on without being too conspicuous? If you fail, no one would notice. If you have no experience with a heat gun, here is not the place to learn. I think you are off to the body shop for a $60-75 labor bill. Bat those baby blues at him, and maybe he'll cut you a deal, but don't take the boyfriend with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
what really sucks is that my boyfriend could do it! but my mother wont let him :sterb: she wont even let him put in a 6 CD changer :so

In those pictures you can kind of tell that its shrunk or something and its white around the edges, I would have to pretty much get that whole section repainted.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It will take a heat gun to get that off. Heat guns get a lot hotter than any hair dryer. If anyone you know attepts this make sure they open the hood and to avoid customizing the head lights too. I would ask a body shop how much to remove the junk and buff over the area.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It sure looks lik ethe 3M film that is suppsed to work like an invisible bra. I believe it is supposed to come off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
use a heat gun and a razor blade, careful to hold it at a angle or you will scratch the paint. If that doesn't work try rubbing compound, can be purchased from any paint supply store. Put a little on a towel and be gentle, to much will take the clear off. If rubbing compound can take a scuff mark from another car off my sisters car it can take that gunk off yours. Remember just use a little!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tried a corner of it with my nail and it comes off fine but thats not really the problem. The problem is that the underlayer of paint doesnt have a clearcoat, so it has all those cracks in the paint. Do you guys think that those would buff out and then I could get someone to put a clearcoat on it? or would I have to repaint that section of the car?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
CrimsonFever said:
I tried a corner of it with my nail and it comes off fine but thats not really the problem. The problem is that the underlayer of paint doesnt have a clearcoat, so it has all those cracks in the paint. Do you guys think that those would buff out and then I could get someone to put a clearcoat on it? or would I have to repaint that section of the car?

the "underlayer of paint" does have clear on it as Ford clear coated the entire panels...yes its a a 3m product that is used to protest the front of cars from stone chips...however this was left on way to long. A heat gun and some wax and grease remover will take this off easily but will take some time due to all the cracks. Then I would wet sand the area with 1500 and compound the area....followed with a swirl remover polish and wax....the paint under here should look as good as new. no need to reclear or repaint. unless you have some extra cash to spend :)

·
Banned
56 Posts
that looks like a real pain in the butt. but i read some of the replys and people tell you to do this and that. i use to paint for a living and do it as a hobby now. thing about it yea you could use a heat gun heat it up a little and hopefully not heat the paint and get it off but like you said you peeled a little off the edge and you could see there is no clear under it. if you want it off use a heat gun get it off that way hopefully you wont tear the paint off too much but when you do this expect to blend the paint and reclear the front end of the car again. i would take it off with a heat gun if i had to fix it then when i got it off i would sand the front end down where the protective film was with 320 grit or finer get some red paint from the paint code in the door that matched. then wetsand the hood down and the fenders, because i noticed the film is on the fenders too. so i would wetsand behind the film on the hood and fenders the whole front end basically would be wetsanded down with 1500 grit or 1000 grit paper once the film was off i would blend the front end then reclear the whole car from the doors forward that would probably work the best and give that factory look. i dont think if you peeled it off and buffed it it would look to great or just leave it on there and not worry about it. its gonna be work but not that much just expect to have the front end blended and reclear everything would be the easiest way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got a quote for how much it woudl be to take it off, after a year

The guy at the paint shop said that he had never seen anything like it before, he said it'd cost about 600-700 dollars and a week to do, guess I better start saving up :mad: he said it was a bug sheild, but dont you think that the previous owner would have taken it off before it got this bad? Who knows, maybe he was just dumb, i would never stick that on any car of mine, espeically a beautiful mustang!

·
Registered
143 Posts
This looks like a standard "clear bra" which is available under many brands in the automotive aftermarket. The person selling you the vehicle was obviously mistaken. It's possible it wasn't installed properly, or it was a poor quality film... but obviously it needs to be removed for aesthetic reasons.

As an alternative to the heat gun, I'd try 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover which is found in the automotive paint department of most auto parts stores... an 8 ounce can (liquid) or a can of aerosol spray would probably do the job... read the labels to decide which may work best for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.