Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know vague doesn't help here, so I'll do my best in describing my problem, and maybe someone will have some ideas.

First of all, my mustang is an automatic. Now, here's what happened. When I was driving (I was probably going about 45) I hit the gas, the engine revved to about 3000 RPM. The problem was it didn't accelerate. It kind of shook back and forth like it was trying to go, but it was hardly accelerating at all.

Any ideas what this could be? It accelerates fairly normal if I don't hit the gas hard (if I keep it between 1000-2500 RPM).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sounds like trans trouble, possibly worn bands or clutches causing it to slip under load.

does it do it when accelerating hard from a standstill?

Kinda hard to diagnose without actually seeing it though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know. I haven't tried it from a start yet.

if it was worn bands or the clutch, how much am i looking at paying to get it fixed?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
No idea how much it would be in Fla, but it will require a rebuild of the transmission so you could ask for a quote on that as a starting point I guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem after I changed my exhaust manifold gasket. I used black permatex on the manifold side only, which I think may be the problem. But I am not sure if I may have forgotten to plug something back in. I have a 97 V6 and I was only aware of the hard pipe to the EGR and the two hoses on the sensor that connect to the manifold. My car is now sputtering as described above, I can accelerate slowly but when I open the throttle wide enough the car hesitates consistently. Any timely response would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this occurs any time I open the throttle too wide, 1st-4th, didn't take it to fifth in my neighborhood, lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.