Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am moving to CT from FL, and I am shipping my car. I am super worried about doing this, but its my only option. Does anyone have advice for me from previous experiences?

The car is low to the ground, so I am worried it will get scratched when putting it on the car carrier:crying:. I am also worried there will be paint chips, etc. I was thinking of buying a vehicle cover at the very minimum. The company that is doing the shipping has pretty good reviews but I am worried about the car regardless of that.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Inspect and take pictures before you have the car picked up. Make sure there is insurance provided by the shipper in the contract. Inspect thoroughly at delivery. But most of all be sure your comfortable wit he the shipper. Also there is some spray on/wash off chip protection you can buy to put on the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Car shippers do it for a living and they are very good at it or they would not be in business for long. However things to go wrong. Good advice ^^ from blu13gt, but on top of the carrier's insurance, get your own supplemental insurance for things thiers does not cover.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well I don't mention personal insurance because most companies will cover the car even if being shipped. So as new as the car is I figure he would have comp and collision already. But yea. Make sure your policy covers the car when being shipped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the vehicle is lower than normal, request a truck (trailer) that has a lift gate. This will help prevent any damage from underneath. Check the carrier standings at Licensing & Insurance Introduction Page and request a copy of insurance from the agent representing the carrier. A brief call to your personal insurance agent will determine if you do have adequate insurance to cover the vehicle during transport. Also, personal belongings shipped inside vehicle are not covered by the carriers insurance coverage.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Depending upon how much you value the vehicle, you might also get a quote for an enclosed carrier instead of an open carrier. I have shipped cars from FL to MI in enclosed carriers to avoid all the hassles and damage you are mentioning that might (and likely will) occur. I would not recommend putting a car cover on the vehicle because no matter how tight/taut it looks, it will slap the car body somewhere and could damage the paint through abrasion....

The other issue to watch out for is to check that your car will be transported by the same truck with no "drop offs" which means some carriers will pickup your car, take it part way and drop it off for another truck to pick up the carrier at some point-

for whatever this is worth-good luck!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Depending upon how much you value the vehicle, you might also get a quote for an enclosed carrier instead of an open carrier. I have shipped cars from FL to MI in enclosed carriers to avoid all the hassles and damage you are mentioning that might (and likely will) occur. I would not recommend putting a car cover on the vehicle because no matter how tight/taut it looks, it will slap the car body somewhere and could damage the paint through abrasion....

The other issue to watch out for is to check that your car will be transported by the same truck with no "drop offs" which means some carriers will pickup your car, take it part way and drop it off for another truck to pick up the carrier at some point-

for whatever this is worth-good luck!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just shipped my car with reliable transport in an enclosed trailer. My car is lowered but not slammed to the ground and they had no issues at all. They had a lift gate that was maybe a few inches higher than the street level. The driver was very nice and extremely professional. That is who I would recommend using. Whatever you do, I would definitely go with an enclosed carrier over an open carrier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, thanks for the great advice so far everyone. I requested an enclosed carrier, lets hope my future employer will approve the request (* fingers crossed *). Otherwise, I will probably end up driving the car myself. Its new so the 1300 miles wont be too bad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
UPDATE: So, a flat bed was sent to pick up my car just now. Apparently they bring it to their shop, where the enclosed carrier will pick it up... To say the least, I was not happy about this.

As he pulled the car up onto the lift, the front black plastic part was pressing against the lift due to the steep angle. It hurt to watch, definitely not good.

I just have to remember that its a car at the end of the day lol :(. Moral of story, do not ship your car, I already regret it!!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
What company did you go with? That isn't at all the experience I had with reliable. They drove the trailer to my neighborhood and even offered to let me drive it onto the lift gate if I wanted to. I would be mad also if they showed up to get my car on a flatbed when I requested an enclosed transport.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What company did you go with? That isn't at all the experience I had with reliable. They drove the trailer to my neighborhood and even offered to let me drive it onto the lift gate if I wanted to. I would be mad also if they showed up to get my car on a flatbed when I requested an enclosed transport.
Yeah it sucks. I am so anxious to see what condition the vehicle will be in once it arrives. I am using Reindeer Auto Relocation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, if your planning to drive it year round in the Northeast I wouldnt be too worried about shipping it there, its what it will look like after a couple of winters that would concern me. lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, if your planning to drive it year round in the Northeast I wouldnt be too worried about shipping it there, its what it will look like after a couple of winters that would concern me. lol
Lol fair point. :|

·
Registered
16 Posts
I drive a parking lot for a living, I love getting sports cars on my truck. It's fun to find a fun place out in the middle of nowhere to try line lock and launch control. Then put them back on the truck and no one knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts