Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 convertable, and when I make hard turns to the left the car randomly dies. It happenes mostly when I take long trips down south.

thanks in advance
Cebevirus

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Could be several things, unfortunately all hard to track down. A flaky inertial cut-off switch, a fuel pump on its last leg, even a marginal connector in a wire harness. Could be a variation on TSB 06-9-9, air bubbles forming around the fuel pick-up. Also, how full is your fuel tank when it happens? Too low of a fuel level may result in the fuel pick-up being uncovered. Here’s a pdf of the TSB.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car usually has about half a tank. its not like the motor is getting choked out it like the electrical just grounds out cuz all the the power lights in the car go out. i.e. radio, dash, 12 volt cig lighter.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
welcome to the forums. my guess would be fuel related like stars said. sounds like the fuel pump. but could very well be the other things mentioned. my car has done it a couple times too after getting off the highway after a long drive, stopping at the end of the ramp, and taking off making a sharp turn ( where i usually tromp on the gas a little:)) have you replaced your fuel filter?

we had to replace a fuel pump on the 06, only had 30ish k on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will check the fuel filter tonight
the times thats it happen to me were very opposite.
the first time was breaking and turning left and the other was accelerating and turning left.

thanks cebevirus

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ya, the cars are so complicated nowadays. on the 06, it was cutting out for a second here and there just cruising on the highway. its pretty common to get a stumble after a long highway drive, i think it is from air bubbles around the pump. you could have a slight restriction though with the filter, they are not expensive so i change ours around 20k on both cars. oh, you didnt say how many miles you had, but another common cause for a stumble is a dirty throttle body. pull your intake tube off the frt and see if it looks black in there. if it is, it needs to be cleaned. the car just dying though, thats a little more severe.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If you’re losing electrical power when it dies that’s something different. Check that your battery is secure and the cables are tight (both ends). Also check the cables on the alternator and the main power line entering the Bussed Electrical Center (the fuse box under the hood) to make sure they’re tight. While you’re at it may as well check the battery fluid level, though that’s not likely to be it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah tighten your battery I had that problem before it goes loose for one second car goes dead. That's probably your problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i checked battery cables, altenator cables, and main cable going to the fuse buss connnector. the car has like 80k on it

thanks
cebevirus

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
These are long shots but check fuse F68 in the BEC for signs of corrosion or failure (this is the fuse that feeds power to the key switch). Other possibilities of failure include the key switch itself and the passive anti-theft transceiver module. Any chance that you have an aftermarket alarm that has a "kill" feature in it?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
it has the stock alarm system, but i will check it out tonight

thanks
cebevirus
we dont have alarms on ours, so i dont know anything about it. but does that alarm go off if the car was to get tipped or jacked up?like maybe a motion sensor? but the alarm would be a good guess, as would the ground connection to the battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts