Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My latest project is to redo the interior. I ripped out the carpet and underlayments. There were 3 layers of carpet stacked on each other. stripped off the adhesive, ground off any surface rust on the floor pans, primered and painted the entire floor pan area from the firewall to the trunk.

Took off the dash pad. Had the seats re-apolstered.

Repainted the doors and got new door panels.

The strangest smell continues to exist. Kinda a mildew-y smell. Wondering if you all think this could be the headliner?

I just get wafts of stink sometimes but doesn't appear to be coming from any particular area.

Car doesn't have A/C. Wondering if you think the heater core / box would make a smell ? Just trying to get this taken care of prior to getting carpet back in.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi,

My latest project is to redo the interior. I ripped out the carpet and underlayments. There were 3 layers of carpet stacked on each other. stripped off the adhesive, ground off any surface rust on the floor pans, primered and painted the entire floor pan area from the firewall to the trunk.

Took off the dash pad. Had the seats re-apolstered.

Repainted the doors and got new door panels.

The strangest smell continues to exist. Kinda a mildew-y smell. Wondering if you all think this could be the headliner?

I just get wafts of stink sometimes but doesn't appear to be coming from any particular area.

Car doesn't have A/C. Wondering if you think the heater core / box would make a smell ? Just trying to get this taken care of prior to getting carpet back in.
I have the same problem. I narrowed it to the AC and the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Those 3 layers of carpet is nothing but a recipe for mold and mildew. Glad you got that stuff gone. I doubt that your problem is your headliner. I would suspect that your firewall pad may be the problem. If it's the original, you have a porous padding on the back. If that becomes wet from a leak etc., that could also be the source of the odor. A new firewall pad is around $40 from NPD or other suppliers. It's pre-cut with the proper holes punched out and comes with fasteners. It's a little bit of a PIA to install because you have to remove the heater plenum and box. Outside of that, it's not too bad. Good Luck. :winks

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
65 fixup, thanks for the suggestions. I think I figured it out. The insulation under the panels by either side of the rear seat had gotten wet and was causing an odor. Carpet going back in this weekend....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.