Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of us may love our cars to death and want to protect it while we are away from it in public is such an app overkill or just plane obssive? Truth is if you have a high end vehicle it ussaly has some sort of pinpointing device placed into it for obvious reasons unless you tell them not to put it in. I guess my question is would u go for this mod in your mustang? Or is it too much of an invation of privacy? I am considering it myself.

Anyway heres a video of a presentation of just such an app for avrage consumers.
YouTube - ‪Axeda Connexion - iPhone Car Tracker Application Example‬‏

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
well eventually we'll see insurance companies placing these devices in cars...too many "excessive speeds" and up goes your rate...

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is nothing new. When I was in college I was a dispatcher, and we had this technology on our trucks. 1991..
With GPS now, you've been able to buy phones with hidden 'kid trackers' for maybe 10 years? Same parameters..

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
well eventually we'll see insurance companies placing these devices in cars...too many "excessive speeds" and up goes your rate...
Thank god we still have some sort of a free market. Those companies will lose business.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Progressive Insurance offers a discount if you elect to install one of their GPS monitoring devices so they can track your driving habits. I assume this means distance, what time of day you drive, and how many miles you drive per day.

I agree this is creepy. If Texas ever passes a law that enables Speed Camera's, I'm selling the Mustang for a slow economy car, and then buying another motorcycle and removing the license plate.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
If I can pay less for my safe driving habits and have the people who drive crappy pay more... this is a bonus.

These premium models should be built into airline tickets and healthcare as well... you smoke you pay more, you are fat you pay more, you speed you pay more....

GPS my car and let me pay less... I'm all for it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
GPS won't show if someone tailgates, makes dangerous lane changes, or doesn't pay attention. It just shows speed and location which really doesn't tell the whole story.

And no, I don't want this either. I want to break the rules now and then and get away with it. A perfectly safe life is an illusion and sucks the joy of living away.

·
Registered
937 Posts
THX 1138
:circlingsmilies

·
Registered
510 Posts
GPS won't show if someone tailgates, makes dangerous lane changes, or doesn't pay attention. It just shows speed and location which really doesn't tell the whole story...

Second that! Who's more dangerous, the aggressive driver who is paying attention or the absent minded driver who is riding your bumper and texting?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Second that! Who's more dangerous, the aggressive driver who is paying attention or the absent minded driver who is riding your bumper and texting?
You are both dangerous really and I should be able to pay less premiums for your increased risk... you are the fat people of driving...... it goes like this... I am fat, but I'm in really good shape. I know I piss people off in airplanes but I eat a salad before boarding. It just doesn't fly. (no pun intended) :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm sorry, how does driving style coincide with phsycial fitness? And where did I mention anywhere about MY driving style?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Who's more dangerous, the aggressive driver who is paying attention or the absent minded driver who is riding your bumper and texting?
You are both dangerous really and I should be able to pay less premiums for your increased risk
And where did I mention anywhere about MY driving style?
It's a consciousness of guilt thing.

People assume a motivation for any action or statement. You said/implied that aggressive drivers are less dangerous than inattentive drivers. What are the possible motives for such a statement? The two most likely are (1) you aren't an aggressive driver but for some reason want to defend them, or (2) you are an aggressive driver and are making excuses for yourself. The latter is the more plausible even though you didn't say it in so many words. You will get that reaction most of the time.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Or perhaps I simply notice that the inattentive driver texting while eating a cheese burger and doing their hair drives worse. Not that my job has me on the road 40-50hrs/wk, not including my long commutes. But I digress- surely I must be one of those evil aggressive drivers myself.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The Progressive system does account for inattentive and aggressive drivers to some extent. Apparently, it does not track speed or location (it has no GPS) so they don't know where you were or how fast you were going. Among other things, it does track the time and distance of trips because commuting longer distances during high volume hours would cost more. It also tracks acceleration and deceleration rates. It penalizes you if you slam on the brakes a lot (something both aggressive and inattentive drivers would tend to do) as well as for a lot of hard acceleration (something aggressive drivers do more often).

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It's a consciousness of guilt thing.

People assume a motivation for any action or statement. You said/implied that aggressive drivers are less dangerous than inattentive drivers. What are the possible motives for such a statement? The two most likely are (1) you aren't an aggressive driver but for some reason want to defend them, or (2) you are an aggressive driver and are making excuses for yourself. The latter is the more plausible even though you didn't say it in so many words. You will get that reaction most of the time.

Agreed!:bigthumbsup I just don't have the wordsmith abilities as you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.