Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to leave work last night my car would not start. It turns over just fine but will not fire. I am not hearing the fuel pump turn on when the key is in the on position. The fuel relay and pump are original. My first guess is the relay but am not sure how to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
One method is to just replace the relay (under driver's seat and about $10-$15) and try to start the car.

Another easy way to test this is to remove the fuel filter (located on the the frame rail - I want to say drivers side under a protective cover) and then turn on the key. If fuel doesn't shoot out of there then the pump or relay are at fault. Be sure to replace your filter as well with a new one!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Or instead of replacing the relay you can check the voltages with a sewing needle and multimeter..... If you are getting proper voltages to the relay but not to the pump: bad relay. If you're getting voltage to the pump but no pump then bad pump.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok here is where im at. I can hear the relay clicking under the drivers seat so my guess is the pump.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Just because a relay is 'clicking' doesn't mean it is properly switching over and sending voltage where it needs to go. The only way to know 100% is by using a multimeter and checking the voltages. They're like 40$ and they are an invaluable tool to any shade tree mechanic or professional alike.

But hey, if you want to replace a pump... then realize thats not it.... then spend more money on a relay... that is your dime. Maybe you'll get lucky this time but not every time.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Since its original I would just swap it. If that doesnt do it then buy a Walbro 255 lph off Ebay for $100 with all the goodies and a new filler neck grommet from www.laurelmountainmustang.com and swap the pump. It may be in your best interest to swap the sending unit while your in there. Make sure you get the sock back down in the hole in the baffle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just put in a new fuel pump and it did the trick..Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts