Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not familiar with fords and I recently was given a 1983 mustang turbo gt with the 2.3 and 5 speed transmission and it wont turn over. It will turn over if I jump the starter relay(which I know isnt good) but It wont turn over if I use the key in the ignition.I think it's the neutral safety switch (if it has one) but I dont know for sure.I had a fiero with a bad neutral safety switch and it did the same thing although i know it's a completely different animal. when I turn on the key it seems that everything comes on,including the annoying buzzer but when I go to crank the engine it just wont. if anyone can give me the location and description of the neutral safety switch or has pics I'd really appreciate it. thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Could be the clutch switch.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Check the battery at the solenoid with a test light while cranking.Thin wire!! Does the light light?? if yes the solenoid is SHOT or not grounded . If No the key battery is not getting to the relay. Clutch switch comes to mind does it have one was the car originally an auto or stick???. Either way you will have to dig in and find out why the key battery is not at the relay when in the crank Position. Ignition switches are a real problem in these cars. They were recalled and if yours was not fixed the dealer will fix it free. Clutch switch is on the clutch assembly. Pushing in the clutch completes the crank lead to the solenoid.Good luck Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car is an all original 5speed car(pretty rare from what I understand). thanks for the replies guys! I will go out and test the solenoid tomorrow. In my 1973 dodge charger the solenoid actually makes a clicking sound but the one on the mustang does not so maybe it is the solenoid? I havent checked it out much because its my project car and I'm workin on it a little bit at a time. It was sittin in an old ladies back yard for seven years so I cleaned it all up first now I'm moving onto the technical stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.