Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I uploaded a custom tune from bama, now the car does not want to start. When i try to turn the engine on, 6 dashes are shown on the odometer, and when i try to return the car to stock using the tuner, the tuner does not recognizes that the ignition key is on. I contacted sct and they told me that i had to take the pcm to ford to reflash it. I contacted bama tunes to verify that tune was written for the correct pcm, and everything was okey. I send the pcm to a company to reflash it for me. I also have saved my stock tune on my laptop just in case.

I am trying to understand what i did wrong during the tune. The only thing i could think of is that i had the battery disconected for two weeks before uploading the tune. My car had a stock tune before i uploaded the custom tune. I have read that if the battery is not fully charged, and i upload a tune, it can cause problems to the pcm. After i installed the tune, my battery had a voltage of 12.47V which is about 85% charged... could disconecting the battery for two weeks and not having the battery fully charged had caused the problem?

I am not the original owner of the car, and i am sure the previous owner had some tune on it because it has com camps stage 2 and long tubes... however, I used the sct tuner once to return the car back to stock, which I did, so now the sct tuner is married to my car I suppose.

The mods i wanted to add were, ford racing intake manifold, Ford racing TB, JLT 3 Cold air intake, comp cams stage 2, long tubes.

I also noted that when bama completed and emailed my tunes, the serial number of the device shown on their tune, did not match the one on my tuner. They wrote a tune for a rev-x, but i have a sct/x4.. could that also be the problem?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I want to believe that you have you received the wrong tune. Try to contact Bama before everything else and explain the whole situation to them. Most importantly, tell them about the tune you received, which is not compatible to your your device and therefore, can cause that to your car.

Everything will be fine. It's just a mistake and I'm sure they are going to resolve it as soon as possible

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Also, make sure the battery is fully charged. No lights on, no door open, radio off, fan off, you get the idea.
Before I ended up with a dyno tune, I would change updated dataloged tunes with a fully charged battery while still running a trickle charge on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to believe that you have you received the wrong tune. Try to contact Bama before everything else and explain the whole situation to them. Most importantly, tell then about the tune you received, which is not compatible to your your device and therefore, can cause that your car.

Everything will be fine. It's just a mistake and I'm sure they are going to resolve as soon as possible
Also, make sure the battery is fully charged. No lights on, no door open, radio off, fan off, you get the idea.
Before I ended up with a dyno tune, I would change updated dataloged tunes with a fully charged battery while still running a trickle charge on it.
Thank you for the tips. One thing i just noticed is that i ordered a rev-x tuner, but i got a sct x4 instead. So when i requested the tunes from bama, they had the tune for a rev-x and a tuner serial number that does not matches the one i have. I already had my x4 tuner married to my mustang when i returned it to stock, so i guess the custom file tune was for a rev-x (a different tuner), i uploaded it, and made the pcm lock?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Lol another Bama story. Get a real tune. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure what to make of Bama tunes yet. It's got to be harder to tune a car you never see. That said they are pretty successful company judging by the number of customers they have and keep.

I just installed my 3rd revision and it seems to be running better. I'm not saying it's all good but, i'll wait some miles before I declare them snake oil salesman.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
Lol another Bama story. Get a real tune. Problem solved.
or, provide the correct information to Bama and then they will have a better chance of providing the correct tune . . . still might not be the best, but the chances will go up quite a bit, LOL

. . . i ordered a rev-x tuner, but i got a sct x4 instead. So when i requested the tunes from bama, they had the tune for a rev-x and a tuner serial number that does not matches the one i have. I already had my x4 tuner married to my mustang when i returned it to stock, . . . .
I am not surprised there are issues with all this confusion floating around . . . did you originally order the tuner from Bama with tunes; or did you first buy the tuner (from someone else?) and then later buy the tunes from Bama? (before we blame Bama, let's make sure we have the facts straight)

But yeah if these things are mismatched -- wrong tuner, or wrong PCM code -- then there can be problems.

Hope you can get it straightened out; this is everyone's nightmare when it comes to loading custom tunes.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm not sure what to make of Bama tunes yet. It's got to be harder to tune a car you never see. That said they are pretty successful company judging by the number of customers they have and keep.

I just installed my 3rd revision and it seems to be running better. I'm not saying it's all good but, i'll wait some miles before I declare them snake oil salesman.
I disagree. My car gets better gas mileage and drives smoother while supercharged off of Lito's tuning than it did stock 50k miles ago. He's tuning my car from a different country. Bama just isn't competent.

Walmart is also a successful company. Being successful in a financial management aspect does not mean it is necessarily a good product. AM is the Walmart of the Mustang market.

One of my friends in Jacksonville, Florida lost a bolt on only engine to Bama's tuning department a while back. If you're on the Facebook Forums, I can get you in contact with him. I'd never run a Bama tune. Bama/AM/SR issues plague the forums daily. They're junk.

·
Registered
141 Posts
People, do you realize that he seeks out for advice on what to do with his car? He doesnt ask about the company or the person who tuned your car. Whether you have a canned tune from VMP, a customize one from Lito, Bama, Lund or a dyno tune from you cousin who recently buys an already heavily-modified Mustang and pretends he knows the coyote, the cyclone and/or the voodoo engine is irrelevant at this point.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
People, do you realize that he seeks out for advice on what to do with his car? . . .
fair enough; let's try to recap and figure out what is going on . . . which is a bit of a challenge

I uploaded a custom tune from bama, now the car does not want to start. . . . the tuner does not recognizes that the ignition key is on. . . . I contacted bama tunes to verify that tune was written for the correct pcm, . . . . I send the pcm to a company to reflash it for me. I also have saved my stock tune on my laptop just in case.

. . . . . My car had a stock tune before i uploaded the custom tune. . . . my battery had a voltage of 12.47V which is about 85% charged...

. . . the car, . . . has com camps stage 2 and long tubes... however, I used the sct tuner once to return the car back to stock, which I did, so now the sct tuner is married to my car I suppose.

The mods i wanted to add were, ford racing intake manifold, Ford racing TB, JLT 3 Cold air intake, comp cams stage 2, long tubes.

. . . They wrote a tune for a rev-x, but i have a sct/x4.. could that also be the problem?
Low battery voltage might have been the original issue; even though 12.47V seems like it should be close enough.

If the PCM has already been sent out to be reflashed, then the important thing now is to figure out what to do when it comes back.

With the modifications you have (such as long tube headers) the car is not going to run right on the factory tune; but I think it should run. I question whether it actually had the "stock" tune. When you get the PCM back, you will essentially have a new factory tune. So you need the right "custom" tune to load to get the car to run right.

I don't know if the programs are different for the rev-x versus SCT/X4 tuner; but for sure you want a tune that is written for the right tuner. In general, when you start fooling with stuff like this, it is really important that everything is correct.

. . . contact Bama before everything else and explain the whole situation to them. . . .
I think he said he already did that . . . but now would be a good time to get new tune(s) that are correct in every way

. . . make sure the battery is fully charged. . . . .
this and the tuner mix-up seem to be the two most likely causes

. . . i ordered a rev-x tuner, but i got a sct x4 instead. So when i requested the tunes from bama, they had the tune for a rev-x and a tuner serial number that does not matches the one i have. I already had my x4 tuner married to my mustang when i returned it to stock, so i guess the custom file tune was for a rev-x (a different tuner), i uploaded it, and made the pcm lock?
this is very hard to follow; I am not sure if the mix-up was on Bama's end or yours . . . but if you can "return to stock" then it should be back the way it was. I guess it is too late now because the PCM has been shipped off to be reflashed.

. . . . Get a real tune. . . . .
a different tune might be better; but not if it is written for the wrong tuner device or for the wrong mods on the car

In summary, before the PCM comes back:
1) get new tunes written for the tuner and mods that you currently have (from Bama or someone else if you prefer)
2) make sure the battery is fully charged; put it on a trickle charger if possible

After you receive the PCM:
3) make sure the battery is fully charged; windows closed; radio off; etc. and put on a trickle charger if possible
4) download the "new" factory tune from the car/PCM to the tuner
5) optional: backup the new factory tune to your laptop
6) load the new tune . . . and keep your fingers crossed!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I disagree. My car gets better gas mileage and drives smoother while supercharged off of Lito's tuning than it did stock 50k miles ago. He's tuning my car from a different country. Bama just isn't competent.

Walmart is also a successful company. Being successful in a financial management aspect does not mean it is necessarily a good product. AM is the Walmart of the Mustang market.

One of my friends in Jacksonville, Florida lost a bolt on only engine to Bama's tuning department a while back. If you're on the Facebook Forums, I can get you in contact with him. I'd never run a Bama tune. Bama/AM/SR issues plague the forums daily. They're junk.

Im on my 3rd revision of my Lito tune for 93 since going to the airraid cai. . One thing about manuel is he asks for the datalog even if you think its okay. that is one thing and a major one for those of us who dont have access to a dyno.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips! I contacted sct, and this is what they told me..

Thanks for contacting support. Well, the issue is that you had the vehicle tuned by two of our device that’s the issue that downed the pcm, its called double stacking tunes.

I send the pcm to be reflashed but they told.me that they could not communicate with the pcm at all, and it might have fried.. so they will send me a replacement pcm with my vin programmed to it,, i will ask sct if i can use the same tuner that bama send me, if not then i will ask bama to send me the rev-x that i ordered in the first place, and send them the sct x4 that they send me by mistake.

The pcm comes with two set of progammed keys and recent updates, so thats a plus a suppose.

I do want to get a dyno tune!!, but i wanted to install the parts myself so that i could learn 😅 it was just bolt ons stuff. Hopefully i get the tune by bama correct now and get a dyno tune later.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
hmmmm . . . . so I'm still not really sure what happened, but it sounds like Bama screwed it up in the first place, so I would not have a lot of confidence in going forward with them.

This might be a good time to contact a different tuner, such as Lito -- see the other threads on here for more information
PS -- this editor added the extra line breaks, not me

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had the double stacked tunes issue myself when i first purchased and tried to run a tune on my 2007 GT, the problem at first appeared to be on BAMA, but upon further investigation was the previous owners doing. Previous owner had tuned the car, but had never returned it to stock, but did not mention this and did not provide a tuner with the car leaving me in the dark on the situation, so when I tried to apply a 91 octane Race tune with only the basics from BAMA i didn't end up bricked, but i ended up with detonation, occasional misfires, and just really weird issues period. Returning to stock corrected them, but I had ford check out the ECM and they said it was running a modified tune even after I had returned it to stock, and they re-flashed it to factory.

AFTER ford re-flashed it back to factory, the tunes BAMA provided seemed to work fine, but when they were attempting to over-write the non-stock tune, things were not matching up properly. My recommendation for anyone who buys used, is if you plan to run tunes, and modify, get it re-flashed to factory first that way you know you are on ground zero before you start trying to tune it.

It is my understanding that SCT handhelds do not fully re-flash the ECM, but instead apply patches onto the factory firmware in segments, and if they don't have exactly the right firmware/ECM Build in mind when they are building a tune, the patch does not mesh correctly and can go varying levels of haywire.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Yep. But it's so easy for some to come on here and say Bama sux.
A couple years ago, before I went dyno, I had Mathew Allen from Bama writing me tunes. He would ask me to dataloge and perform various pulls, then send him the info so he could refine my tune, at no extra charge.
They're not splitting atoms. They simply smooth and correct air flow which allows accurate fuel delivery, load calculation and spark timing.
If you have trouble negotiating a lap top or following directions, you might be inclined to blame someone else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that my main issue was that the sales department send me the wrong tuner, and the tune department had no idea about it. It was also my fault since i did not checked if i had the correct tuner. I will request a new tune once the pcm arrives. And get a dyno tune at dallas later!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts