Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you who is carbed...do you have your distributor vacuum advance connected to the carb metering block port or full manifold vacuum or just capped off? Ive heard that on cars with a bigger cam they benefit more from full manifold vacuum rather than ported carb vacuum, true or no?

thanks

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yes, cars with bigger cams can often get better idle quality by connecting the vacuum advance to full manifold vacuum. If you do that though, you will need to set your timing with the vacuum advance disconnected and then set the idle speed with the vacuum advance re-connected, since the additional vacuum timing will probably increase your idle speed a bit.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
From what I've seen, carbed engines with a big cam do do better with full manifold vacuum rather than a block.

·
Registered
621 Posts
For any of you who is carbed...do you have your distributor vacuum advance connected to the carb metering block port or full manifold vacuum or just capped off? Ive heard that on cars with a bigger cam they benefit more from full manifold vacuum rather than ported carb vacuum, true or no?

thanks

I always ran all my street cars with vacuum direct from the manifold. This includes some with very big mechanical roller cams, as well as smaller cams.

Stay away from ported vacuum unless you have some emissions worries.

You don't want to block it off unless it is strip only.

Be sure you have enough centrifugal advance range in the distributor to prevent bucking against the starter, and that it comes in at the right speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.