Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I bought a '69 coupe a while ago and my ex-mechanic/motor-head neighbor diagnosed my windsor with a sticky exhaust valve that isn't closing properly. He tried pouring type f down the carb and that helped some. The next thing he suggested hooking up my windshield washer hose (filled with water) to my carburetor and while under load, push the wiper button. I have been trying to find more information on this method, but have not been able to find much, but what I did find said injecting water was a good method. Is this safe to do?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wouldn't do that, i'd just talk to a local speed shop and have them refer you to someone who can do the necessary repairs. Remove the heads yourself, and put them back on and it'll save ya a bit of money, and the headache of damaging your engine if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Have you heard of sea foam? If not goto you tube and take a look. It's some pretty amazing stuff (I haven't used it yet...keyword YET). I have a can of it I'm going to try.

As far as the water...you arent going to hurt anything, unless you hydrolock the motor...and you won't do that unless you have a really big window washer fluid container.

I'm going to do the seafoam thing to my car when I get a chance, but I have heard really good things about it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am reluctant to use seafoam because it would probably clean it too well. I dont want to make the thing squeaky clean...at least until I have time to rebuild the engine. Seafoam does too good of a job of cleaning and I don't want to create more problems by trying to solve one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Seafoam works well. There is something call g44 or something that and its better. Technik (sp) is 3rd in line works great imo. And its all poured into your tank before you fill up and you will notice a difference.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
As long as you're running the Seafoam thru the fuel system you will be fine. I like to run it directly thru carb on a vehicle with questionable fuel tank. It will break up the crap in tank and fuel lines. On a very sludged up engine, I don't like to put it in the oil for the same reason, it may break stuff loose and clog up the oiling system. Tip: If running thru carb, do it somewhere that the large amount of smoke will not upset the neighbors.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Seafoam is some great stuff, but won't help this very much, since you're dealing with an exhaust valve. It will help the fuel system and intake valves, though. I would definatly do the Seafoam.

As for the exhaust valve, your neghbor is right on. It's an old trick that's been around since Hector was a pup. It does work on the exhaust side by sort of steam cleaning the valve.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to rebuild the heads.

·
Registered
313 Posts
As long as you're running the Seafoam thru the fuel system you will be fine. I like to run it directly thru carb on a vehicle with questionable fuel tank. It will break up the crap in tank and fuel lines. On a very sludged up engine, I don't like to put it in the oil for the same reason, it may break stuff loose and clog up the oiling system. Tip: If running thru carb, do it somewhere that the large amount of smoke will not upset the neighbors.
Don't forget to add it while revving the engine up. I get a can of carb cleaner and spray it into the carb while its revved up to 3 or 4 grand. That seems to clean out the intake side pretty well. Just change your fuel filter after or before you run it through the tank. That is what its for after all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just tried the water injection and to no avail. The only symptom is when the coil wire is unplugged, i crank it and the starter sounds loaded and then it gets higher pitched for a second (goes faster) then back to the loaded sound. now my dad swears that he has heard a lot if fords do this but I can't be sure. Has anyone else heard this in their starters?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts