Ford Mustang Forum banner

Carbon Fiber Hoods @ decent prices

10795 Views 42 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  daryle
I was ALL about getting a GTS Ram Air hood but have completely decided against it now. They look fantastic but with the "new Knight Rider" and a handful of people recently getting theirs on, I had to be different... I'm a total jackass when it comes to things like that :hihi:

Anyway, I have been on the fence about the Seibon CD carbon fiber hood but the $900 + shipping has always put me off. After finding out that a GTS-3 hood was going to cost me $620 shipped and another $500 to have it prepped / painted, $900 started to look like a deal to me!

Anyway, short story long, I got one from Octane Motorsports for $768 total... including shipping and insurance! I think that's a damn good deal! :bigthumbsup

Oh, and having a black car won't make this stick out like a "ricers thumb"... :laugh:

Octane's Ebay Store

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
That's a nice looking hood... I've heard good things about Seibon quality.
Oh, I also considered the SC model too... has more of the Cobra look to it. Same price as the CD :)

Attachments

Post some installed pics when ya get time. I've always thought it was a little rice-ish but your black car will probably look pretty good w/ one. It's a nice hood, too.
I just found out that Seibon is making these hoods with gold and also a silver weave in with the carbon fiber. My hood is on backorder for 3 weeks but the silver one is available now (guy at Seibon said the gold is sold out because people with yellow 'stangs are really digging them).

When they send me news pics, I'll be sure to post them. I can't find the pics anywhere and Seibon (and vendors) don't have them posted anywhere.
I would paint the sides of it black. Like right before the Cowl starts. That would look clean. With like a silver thin strip to separate the black and carbon and then get the JLT Carbon Fiber Side Window Covers. Bash Performance makes Carbon Fiber Engine Dress stuff but its expensive but looks NICE.
Here's pics of the Gold fiber hood on a yellow 'stang:

Attachments

Found a thread all on carbon fiber hoods if anyone is considering one:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-talk/66788-love-my-new-seibon-style.html

Here is a pic of one on a

black stang:
AirGoNomyk's 06 Mustang GT Pictures - AirGoNomyk's 06 Mustang GT Photos - Mustang Picture Gallery - AllFordMustangs.com

gray(?) stang:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...4081827-love-my-new-seibon-style-img_0928.jpg

silver(?) stang:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-love-my-new-seibon-style-sideseib-small-.jpg

Different type of hood on a gray stang:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...732-love-my-new-seibon-style-cf-installed.jpg

Pic of a CF hood looking cool depending on lighting conditions:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...52-love-my-new-seibon-style-fronts-small-.jpg

All in all, I've very excited to see this CF hood with the unique silver fiber running through it. Just found out that Seibon is out of the silver one now as well... I got the last one tonight. Out of the Gold, Silver and regular at the moment... strange :scratchchin

Tons of pics in the above posted thread. From what I've read, the price I listed above is really good and other than water getting into the engine compartment, people love these hoods.

Pins are required according to the guys at Seibon and most all users say to use them.
Tax time. Everybody is out of everything. One thing I hate about doing the end of winter mods. I love my gold one on the Yellow Mustang. Next mod is to put in the window washer nozzles I bought at Advance Auto Parts. Hard to figure out where to mount them. And to paint the screens for the hood. Pins are a definite must do. :to_cool:

As a side note. You can drive it for a while with no pins until you find some you like. Just don't go over 70. The hood will look like it isn't closed all the way at anything over 45. The Mr Gasket pins will rust after a while. THe Ford Racing pins for our Mustangs are expensive and starting to look good with the mounting plates. :bigthumbsup

And get ready for some strange looks with the silver. Take a towel and keep it in your car with a small bucket. Need to wipe up the drool when the local ricers see it. :heha:
Hey manifestation, thanks for the heads up. I really like these hood pins but at $125 I think they are way too impractical for what they really are. I'm probably just gonna get the carbon fiber locking ones like these. I am thinking twice about the locking though... I couldn't imagine having to get under the hood and saying, "Damn, don't have my keys with me".

When you mentioned towel, I thought you were going to say you drive down the street and the hood is already disgustingly dirty or something like that... glad that's not what you meant!

What do you mean by, "paint the screens for the hood". You mean the venting screens? Pretty sure I'm going to leave mine silver... I'm already too afraid of my car looking too riced out and I haven't even got the hood yet... HELL, I haven't even driven the damn thing yet :grinroll:
Take a look at the kit offered by Joe Heck Racing offers parts sales, installation and dyno services for Ford, Dodge and Chevy late model American Muscle Cars .
They come with a billet plate that replaces the plate to hold the upper radiator and has the hood pins in it. There is also a kit out there that has plates that the hood pins mount to. I think CJ Pony and Steeda and such offer these plates as well. They are just too close to the middle of the hood. I like them to be between the fenders and the outer edge of the hood's bump. I saw a picture somewhere of some mounted right above the foglights. To close to the center for my tastes. I also thought about mounting them in place of the outer bumper stops. Just unscrew the rubber pieces and mount the hood pins on plates there. The hood already has a flat spot to drill through. :gringreen

I am thinking of mounting mine in the outer holes next to the rubber bumperstops for the hood. There is already a hole there and I think I can get a wrench on the bottom through where the bumper stop goes.

I just can't seem to bring myself to get near my car with a drill. :scared
You'll like the look of the CF hood. Mine has the gold fibers and being Legend Lime the car color made the hood look like it had a green tint. I finally had it painted after driving with it plain CF for about 4 months. Yours will look great on the black car but you might want to have some black paint brought into the hood.

Attachments

Booger, that is a nice paint job and yet still having the carbon fiber look. I like that design and idea a lot. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'm VERY nervous of the car getting that "RICER" look but like you said, getting it painted may just be the way to go. Mine will have the silver in it instead of gold so it'll be lighter in color and I'm sure will contrast more with the black than regular carbon fiber.

On a side note, how much did you pay to have yours custom painted like that?

Also, did your hood come with underneath vent covers? I never thought water (say it's raining) getting into the engine was that big of a deal but apparently it is. I'm NOT about to start worrying about whether or not it's raining when I drive my car.

Thanks!
The paint job ran about 1k. The painter had to go through and find any pin holes in the hood and fill with clear coat before he could start to paint and clear coat. Each stripe has some custom pin stripes that look 3 dimensional when you look at it in the light.

The first photo shows the wire screens in both of the openings originally. I measured and found that the hood and openings are patterned after the 03/04 Cobra heat extractor hood. The inserts are Ford parts for 03/04 hood. Minor modification due to thickness of hood and slightly different opening size but they are in there as original.

I do get snow and rain in them but the water falls on the intake hose and near the radiator fill.
Booger, that is a nice paint job and yet still having the carbon fiber look. I like that design and idea a lot. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'm VERY nervous of the car getting that "RICER" look but like you said, getting it painted may just be the way to go. Mine will have the silver in it instead of gold so it'll be lighter in color and I'm sure will contrast more with the black than regular carbon fiber.

On a side note, how much did you pay to have yours custom painted like that?

Also, did your hood come with underneath vent covers? I never thought water (say it's raining) getting into the engine was that big of a deal but apparently it is. I'm NOT about to start worrying about whether or not it's raining when I drive my car.

Thanks!
Thanks for the information Booger! :bigthumbsup
Booger, ya ever thought of a black chin spoiler on that car? I think that would look awesome w/ the hood and black rear wing...IMO. Great lookin Legend Lime even w/o it tho... :thumbsup:
You'll like the look of the CF hood. Mine has the gold fibers and being Legend Lime the car color made the hood look like it had a green tint. I finally had it painted after driving with it plain CF for about 4 months. Yours will look great on the black car but you might want to have some black paint brought into the hood.
As a matter of fact yes I have. Problem I am having with pulling the trigger on it is the front of the car already sits dangerously low and that will make it even worse. If I swap my front springs for the Steeda's (to match the rear) it may raise it enough to allow me to do just that.
Booger, ya ever thought of a black chin spoiler on that car? I think that would look awesome w/ the hood and black rear wing...IMO. Great lookin Legend Lime even w/o it tho... :thumbsup:
Follow-up on the hood pin kit with the plates.

They are made by Scott Drake. They are expensive though. Wish I had a set of the plates to measure and have made at a local machine shop. I don't like the way they sit so high above the hood. But I like the idea of the plates. :gringreen
I can see your issue Booger. I have my car lowered as well and throwing a chin spoiler on it would basically give me the clearance of a Lambo minus some millimeters. :happyhapp My personal reasoning for a chin spoiler would be to bring the fascia closer to the ground but since my car was already lowered it overall did away with the need for a chin spoiler and side kits
:bigthumbsup
As a matter of fact yes I have. Problem I am having with pulling the trigger on it is the front of the car already sits dangerously low and that will make it even worse. If I swap my front springs for the Steeda's (to match the rear) it may raise it enough to allow me to do just that.
Got my hood and now I'm waiting to have it installed. Here are some pics though of the sliver running through it (Mikey @ Seibon said they've only sent out 2 hoods including mine so far with the silver) as well as their awesome clearcoating. The grilles come from Seibon in silver but you'll see their black in these pictures as the first thing I did was take them off and paint them.

I'll post pictures after the hood is installed... weather being the biggest factor currently.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.