Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i hate the GT hood scoop...and i wanna put a different hood on it with less air resistance and catch less bugs...thinking about wasting money on a carbon fiber hood and have it painted to match my car so it doens't look to obvious i wanna keep the sleeper stock V6 look as much as i can :p anyone have any info as far as the weight difference from carbon fiber to stock and where to buy?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I would not recommend getting a carbon fiber hood, and then painting it. Carbon fiber allready has a clear coat on it yada yada yada. If you want to keep a sleeper 6 look, then go with a fiberglass hood that offers some functionality. You will not be getting much over carbon fiber, except the Honda look.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
my friend had the 99 Cobra style hood on his V6 you know with the backwards scoop. Anyhow i know you want to keep your stock sleeper look, but he got a Cobra R hood and its fiberglass and its nice and light.

i would not go with carbon fiber hood for the same reasons.

G/L

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If you're gonna paint the hood then don't get carbon fiber. It doesn't belong on a mustang anyway. Just get a good fiberglass one. There are plenty out there to choose from.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone know the weight difference from stock to fiberglass to cf?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
ItsaV6iswear! said:
anyone know the weight difference from stock to fiberglass to cf?
stock to fiberglass depends on thickness, (it's already composite). at the most 5 lbs, but you really start to lose quality, and you WILL look ratted out.

good quality carbon-fiber will will save you 20 lbs. You can always paint it for sleepers.

VIS makes the best hoods and trunks, you'll have to go to Tiger Racing for fenders (saves 50+ lbs) and roof. THey also offer OEM look hoods, so you're not running around with a Cobra hood.

http://www.tiger-racing.com/

I'm trying to get them to offer a carbon fiber roof without the scoop.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
i got some of my parts shipped from partstrain.com..thought you might want to give it a try, might find the hood for your ride. you may ask for their assistance..

·
Registered
88 Posts
lcurle said:
I would not recommend getting a carbon fiber hood, and then painting it. Carbon fiber allready has a clear coat on it yada yada yada. If you want to keep a sleeper 6 look, then go with a fiberglass hood that offers some functionality. You will not be getting much over carbon fiber, except the Honda look.

I agree... a carbon fiber hood will be a lot more expensive than a fiberglass one too.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
SFMach1 said:
I agree... a carbon fiber hood will be a lot more expensive than a fiberglass one too.

They're only $200 dollars apart, at the most, most of the time it's 150.00

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.