Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been trying to decide which way to go with my brakes. Right now, I'm completely stock on my 2011 GT. I gave a lot of thought to big brakes, in particular Wilwoods. Not sure I am going to pull the trigger on that. Probably overkill for my needs right now.

I'll be on the street 99%, just don't see tracking this car. I've heard nothing but good things about the Carbotech 1521 pads - however, $300 for the fronts and rears is a bit steep. I'd like to hear people's feedback and thoughts on them or other brands as well.

I am probably going with Centric Premium blanks for a rotor swap. No slots, no holes.

Also, gonna get Russell SS Braided hoses, unless someone has a better recommendation.

Also, I'm thinking ATE TYP 200 will work well. Seems like decent performance versus change interval. I don't really want to flush the fluid every 3 months. Once a year I can live with. Is Motul or others that much better on the street?

I do drive the car hard, and require heavy braking often, but not sustained like auto-crossing.

Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
64 Posts
For what it's worth I just got the Stoptech Street Performance front pads (brembo car) for $60 and love them. Way more bite, no fade and less dust. Easy to do as well... I used the Wilwood EXP 600 Plus DOT4 fluid.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I run the 1521s because it makes it easier to swap to my track pads. The Carbotech 1521 compound is compatible with their XP compounds. No need to clean or turn the rotors for a pad swap.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
For what it's worth I just got the Stoptech Street Performance front pads (brembo car) for $60 and love them. Way more bite, no fade and less dust. Easy to do as well... I used the Wilwood EXP 600 Plus DOT4 fluid.
I also have the StopTech Street Performance pads, bought them as a combination street and track pad, and they work fine for me also. Two track days so far with no complaints; they do like to get a little heat in them but on the street they work fine cold also. However I am not sure about the "less dusty" part, my wheels are real dirty after one track day, maybe that is to be expected.

I run the 1521s because it makes it easier to swap to my track pads. The Carbotech 1521 compound is compatible with their XP compounds. No need to clean or turn the rotors for a pad swap.
That is the main reason to run the Carbotechs on the street, as far as I know. If you just want a good street pad there are other choices that are a lot less money.

Reactions: freewayflyer

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have the StopTech Street Performance pads, bought them as a combination street and track pad, and they work fine for me also. Two track days so far with no complaints; they do like to get a little heat in them but on the street they work fine cold also. However I am not sure about the "less dusty" part, my wheels are real dirty after one track day, maybe that is to be expected.

That is the main reason to run the Carbotechs on the street, as far as I know. If you just want a good street pad there are other choices that are a lot less money.
Any recommendations JBert?

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
I like the StopTech street performance pads that I have now . . . personally have not tried any others, except the factory GT and Brembo pads so hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in.

I have heard good feed-back on Akebono pads.

Also have heard that some of the Hawk street/track pads eat up rotors pretty quickly so I have avoided those.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
If you are only driving the car on the street, NO the 1521's are not worth it. If I had just a street car....I'd probably just stick with stock pads. The stop the car. They last. What more could you want.

The real value of the 1521 comes when you are swapping pads for track events- the carbotech compounds have much more transfer layer compatibility than other brands, so it's not necessary to swap your rotors too, which adds more time, and puts more cycles on all the hardware that holds your brakes together.

Don't get wilwoods for an S197. The OEM Brembo offerings are more than enough brake for 99.99% of S197's out there.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are only driving the car on the street, NO the 1521's are not worth it. If I had just a street car....I'd probably just stick with stock pads. The stop the car. They last. What more could you want.

The real value of the 1521 comes when you are swapping pads for track events- the carbotech compounds have much more transfer layer compatibility than other brands, so it's not necessary to swap your rotors too, which adds more time, and puts more cycles on all the hardware that holds your brakes together.

Don't get wilwoods for an S197. The OEM Brembo offerings are more than enough brake for 99.99% of S197's out there.
Thanks csamsh, I was hoping you would lend your expertise.

I am probably not going with big brakes, since I really like how Bullitts look on the car, my options are somewhat limited.

So, I should just stick with OEM type pads? Do you have any recommendations for pads that will give me better performance than stock with rapid deceleration and through twists and turns? I'm okay with faster wear.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I don't. But, you could get better tires.

Pads are all about feel and temperature range, not stopping distance.

In before "I have Hawk HPS AND I LOVE THEM"

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In before "I have Hawk HPS AND I LOVE THEM"

Yeah, I'm a bit more sensible and wise to buy into hype without asking around and doing research first.

Right now, I'm running MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires which are pretty decent. Hopefully, this week my Pilot Super Sports are going on, if the wheels will ever come in. Yeah I know it's November, but I'm in Texas, so I should be able to run these most of the year. Saving the mounted A/S Plus wheel and tires for those days or weeks when it's too cold or "snowy" to run the Super Sports.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just switched to a lightweight Enkei PF01 and MPSS setup, love it. Now I realize I need to spend $3k on a coilover setup to eliminate that nasty brake drive and fender gap!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about EBC pads, like Redstuffs? Anyone running these?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
i have the hawk hps on mine. They do eat up the rotor but i like them better than stock. There was a big difference. I think im going for slotted rotors and carbotech ax6 next tho. I wouldnt do the hawk again do to rotor wear. i dont care how dirty a pad will make my wheels. I rinse the car every week anyway.

i got my hps for free so i figured why not use them...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts