Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be purchasing a 1985 fox body mustang with a nicely built carburated 347 stoker.
I was wondering if I could get some advice on the pros and cons of running it on the road without an air filter?
Being a nicely built 347, it has a 4 barrel holley carburator (I do not know the jet specs or anything else yet) but the owner tells me it needs A LOT of air and the air filter chokes it. He did not specify if it only constricted air on starting and warming up or if it constricted air flow at all times.
is it safe to run without the air filter? I wont be taking the car out as a daily driver, because I am in the navy and not home often, but it will by my only means of transportation when I am home.
if running without a filter is too dangerous for the motor, could anyone recommend an air filter brand that will allow maximum amount of filtered air flow?
If it is safe to run on the road without an air filter, then I will want to put on a blower, and could you recommend a nice blower brand?
I apologize for the extensive post, I am just really concerned with doing things right and keeping my future engine safe.

·
Super Moderator
40,040 Posts
I suggest to run a filter.Get the largest one that will fit.A good one is a K&N filter with a K&N top,plenty of air flow.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
A good flowing air filter should not really choke down a car.

I also suggest you find out what the car has done to it specially if it has "a nicely built motor".

If the owner does not give you a build sheet, receipts or anything of the sort.....well trying to find out later makes it so much harder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts