Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ppl,

i had a problem with my fuel management, after i had the cars rear sitting up on jack stands (so i could install new shocks), the car wouldnt stay on. my first thought was, f*** something in the gas tank clogged up fuel line ( do to it siting at downward angle the crap couldve built up next to the fuel line opening). so i change the filter. i retune the carb to idle, and it get it runing, next morning the car cranks, turns on, bogs, then nuthin. so i take off the bronze filters on the 4150 vac sec, there dirty so i cleanem. put it together, get it tuned, starts, but runs kinda shaky, next day, nothing. i go crazy and check every thing, spark plugs, cap, wires, msd dig 6, every thing is fine, i flush the gas tank, put another filter in line, and disassemble the fuel pump and clean it. so i start fooling with it, some more, i crank the ignition and pump the gas, it turns but dies out. so then i think F*** its the carb, it had bought this thing new, and have only had it on a running engine for a few months, its probably only seen maybe 1k miles of road use tops. i pull the car, and begin to disassemble it. as soon as i pull off the primary bowl i notice a white rocky deposit in the bowl, and on the primary metering block. i pull off the secondarys and nothing there.
so i think wow, cheap gas messed my s*** up, i always run premium so i was lost. after spraying down every thing with carb cleaner, i noticed cracks on the primary bowl, and metering block. the plating was peeling off the zinc surface. im thinking this might be a manufacturing defect, so i do some research, and find out that other ppl have had the same issue as me. i read on a sight that this was do to off shore casting asia, and holley just not giving a f*** bout how they make these things. something about not having the right material to cast the parts to make the carbs, caused the plating not to fully stick to the zinc parts, thus causing chipping. not good. the white stuff was caused by gasoline coming in contact with the non plated zinc, causing it to oxidize, and clog my s*** up.

my soultion, i bought, a billet aluminum metering block from quickfuel and a aluminum bowl from holley, hopefully i have better luck with aluminum parts. there was no more off idle hesitations, no bogs, idles fine, and looks shiny.

my point is, check ur holley carbs if they actin up, u might have the same problem i had, u never know whats going on inside these things untill u open them up.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I think that the initial problem is the fact that ethanol is now being blended into fuel to increase the octane and reduce emissions to a slight extent. If I'm not mistaken, there's a federal mandate that all gasolines now contain a 10% blend of alcohol (Ethanol). Alcohol makes zinc corrode when they make contact.

This is going to make life miserable for people with vintage cars. The alcohol, besides corroding zinc of which most carburetors are cast of, attacks certain types of rubber and components like fuel hoses, fuel pump diaphrams, and internal carb components. Nowadays it is recommended that fuel line made for fuel injection be used over standard rubber fuel hose. The rubber tends to hold up a little better.

The corrosion factor involving zinc is most likely the reason that Holley is now promoting carbs made of aluminum. It's funny that Holley isn't making any mention of the problem with zinc and promote the aluminum carbs as only a weight savings and appearance advantage on their line of carbs that aren't dedicated to alcohol fueled engines.

From what I'm told, all fuel hoses and rubber components should be inspected or replaced once a year with our current form of gasoline. Holley does make an aqua colored accelerator pump diaphram that is impervious to alcohol. It fits the Holley 4150, 4160 and 4010/4011 series carbs. It is available separately as Holley P/N 135-10 for the 30cc pump and P/N 135-9 for the 50cc.

I have a feeling that the "Can of Worms" has just been opened concerning carb and fuel system issues since the addition of ethanol is now required in our gasolines. It's just something else owners of vintage cars are going to have to contend with and no easy fix is on the horizion.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see now, so its ethanol thats eating up our zinc carbs( to bad i just purchased a few gallons of ethanol enriched shell gas yesterday). the aluminum parts are holding up well. but i did notice that my secondaries are gonna need to be replaced shortly ( same white corrosion is starting to appear) as well as the main body itself.
this ethanol bull isnt fun at all.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
theres no hope for the zinc carbs here in cali, the main body on mine just got fully clogged again. and my car took a dump infront of mcdonalds. i tried to get it repaired on sight, and bad went to worst when a spacer fell down my intake, i couldnt crank the car cuz id be risking droping that spacer down into one of my piston chambers. had to tow my stang home. now shes sitting and i have to fix my 87 5.0 now. sucks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yeah here in calit sucks very much, just cleaned out my holley street avenger, lots of white corrosion, on the secondary too. After cleaning it, ran nice and idled very well. Guess I know where all the came from, nice to know, thanks for the info The Greek :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i had just cleaned my carb out last month, the corrosion had ate my primary metering block, and was slowly eating my seconady, and now the main body is all corroded, the galleries are all clogged, its just doomed now. gotta get aluminum parts if u want to prevent it from happening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts